Cycle using two prawns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well you're on the right track now! As far as LFS go I have 7 here to choose from and only two of them know what they are talking about.

Glad I joined this forum if not I would have been in trouble from the start ! Will keep you posted on progress. Thanks Will

Day 6 of prawns in tank. Ammonia has gone down to 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 0. Question is now ammonia has gone to 0 does this mean I have to wait for nitrite to rise or do I need more ammonia source?

Yes I have live rock. All previous tests I did showed zero ammonia etc. which is why I added the prawns. People on here we're saying that my tank had no way cycled. When I first put in prawns my ammonia went up but now it's zero along with all other tests.

Yes I have live rock. All previous tests I did showed zero ammonia etc. which is why I added the prawns. People on here we're saying that my tank had no way cycled. When I first put in prawns my ammonia went up but now it's zero along with all other tests.
If you don't have nitrites you're ready... It's quite peculiar that you have no nitrates. Do you have a protein skimmer running?

Well if ammonia and nitrites are reading zero your cycle is done.

You may have "cycled" before the prawns but may not have had enough bacteria to support fish yet. Having spiked ammonia with the prawns showed as much.

Should I leave it a few days to be sure and test for nitrate and nitrite ?

Just done another test today and all readings are at zero. Should I get some cuc first before a damsel or both?

So will lr get rid of nitrate but mechanical filtration won't?

Start with a small cleanup crew. sand sifting snails and maybe a hermit crab or two.

I'd skip the damsel and just get a fish you actually want unless you want damsels. Keep in mind damsels are very aggressive and will be more so in a smaller aquarium.

My little boy wants a nemo as you can imagine. Only one though.

My little boy wants a nemo as you can imagine. Only one though.

Best to wait till your tank has been running 10-12 months before adding a nem. You will need strong lighting for one as well. Not sure if you mentioned what light you have.

Back
Top Bottom