Cycle using two prawns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willba200

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, now on day three using two raw prawns for my cycle to help speed things up. These are my readings, nitrite 0 nitrate is 0 and ammonia is between 0.25-0.50. Any thoughts on cycle progress or has my tank cycled. Tank has been running for 21 days. Also my skimmer is skimming some gunk?.
18kilo live rock live sand and lots of critters that came with live rock. Crab,bristle worm , snails etc tank size is 33g -149l. Many thanks

If you detect ammonia or niTRITE then your tank is not cycled.

And you really can't speed up the process unless you use all established live rock from another tank.

Ok this is second test I have done using prawns and both times it showed ammonia. If I leave prawns in Will ammonia go up and start to produce nitrate?

Might as well throw out the 21 days as you didn't have an ammonia source to begin with. You cycle started 3 days ago when you finally added the shrimp. Expect to wait another few weeks for the cycle to complete. Now that you are detecting ammonia is a good thing. Means your tank is actually cycling now. Eventually niTRITEs will go up then niTRATEs will go up. Continue to test. Once ammonia and niTRITES go to 0 then cycle complete.

I thought so (gutted) do I leave the prawns in the tank?

Lfs told me to just leave it as I had live sand and rock. Good job I done some research!!

That can work but you didn't detect any ammonia from the beginning. This says you haven't started a cycle yet. And you can't believe everything your LFS says. They may not be as knowledgeable as you think.

Leave them in till your cycle completes. You may not need both of them though.

Ok thanks for your input:) basically if ammonia goes through the roof should I then take one out?

Pieces of shrimp maybe? Depends on what you mean by gunk. Everything in the collection cup is gunk to me.

Ok thanks for your input:) basically if ammonia goes through the roof should I then take one out?

I used 2 raw shrimp for my 75gal
I didn't turn lights on at all or didn't run a skimmer during the cycle .
There is nothing in there you want to take skim out yet .
Leave the shrimp in .
Once the beneficial bacteria grows it will convert the ammonia to nitrites as it's supposed to,
If your tank can't process 1 shrimp how would it ever establish enough Bacteria to properly process the bio load of a stocked reef .

Ok, ammonia is 0.25 everything else is at 0. Ph 8.3. Is there a chance it's cycled before prawns went in?

Ok, ammonia is 0.25 everything else is at 0. Ph 8.3. Is there a chance it's cycled before prawns went in?

If ammonia is detected it's still in the first stage .
There is NO way it will cycle or start to cycle without a ammonia source .
A constant ammonia source that will spike and it will fall as nitrites are detected .
Google " fish less cycle for saltwater" the extra research will benefit you in the long run .
It's a lot to understand how nature works .
Even after the first cycle if you aren't patient enough and stock too much too fast you will start a cycle again .
The cycle is all about building and establishing a colony of beneficial bacteria to sufficiently convert bad bacteria to good .

Would there not have been enough good bacteria in live sand and live rock as all in all tank has been cycling for 22 days and prawns been in for 4 days? Getting confused as lfs I got rock and sand off said , if I have 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate it could have cycled without the prawns. They also said that it will keep showing low ammonia because of prawns and to take them out and do a water change. Thinking of giving up already as it seems I can't trust the shop! Also there was a small bag of fluid stuff that came with sand would that of been the good bacteria? Take into account that I did not do any water checks for the first two weeks? Please let me know what you think? Thanks

Would there not have been enough good bacteria in live sand and live rock as all in all tank has been cycling for 22 days and prawns been in for 4 days? Getting confused as lfs I got rock and sand off said , if I have 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate it could have cycled without the prawns. They also said that it will keep showing low ammonia because of prawns and to take them out and do a water change. Thinking of giving up already as it seems I can't trust the shop! Also there was a small bag of fluid stuff that came with sand would that of been the good bacteria? Take into account that I did not do any water checks for the first two weeks? Please let me know what you think? Thanks

After the cycle you should test
0 for ammonia
And 0 for nitrites
When it's finished you will have high nitrates
That's when you do a water change .
I'm sure you will hear it more then once .
Your local fish store are sales men and paid to sell you what ever they can .
Everyone has a different opinion.
When you are finished the cycle you should be able to drop a shrimp or prawn in and ammonia will drop to 0 within 24hrs
Live sand and live rock .
When they say live they are referring to beneficial bacteria .
In order for the cycle to start you need to have a constant ammonia source and maintain that high level of ammonia until it's consumed and transformed to nitrite .
Then you will experience high nitrite till it changes to nitrate .
When ammonia and nitrite are both 0 do a large water change and you're set to go . You can purchase nitrifying bacteria to speed it up

Thanks for that it's much appreciated and I'm going to do what you and everybody else says. Should I switch my skimmer off for now?

Thanks for that it's much appreciated and I'm going to do what you and everybody else says. Should I switch my skimmer off for now?

You can leave it on but it's not doing anything cause there isn't anything established yet for it to remove .
Leave lights off too so you don't have a problem with a algae bloom .
Patients is the key .
Do not rush anything and let nature do what it's supposed to .
I think if you rush or alter how nature works you are setting yourself up for disaster

Yeah I'm not going too rush it's just it was getting confused by what lfs were saying . I really appreciate all of your advice. Thank you. Will let you know how it goes. Again cheers

Back
Top Bottom