cycle vs zyme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just wanted to get a consensus from others about these 2 products. I have used them both and to me the stress zyme worked better. However a friend told me that the cycle may not have worked because I had it for a year in not very cool conditions. I just wanted to know other guys experiences.

I think most products in this catagory are a waste of money with the lone exception being Marineland Bio-Spira.

Sorry, I can't help you, I like the natural way....

Only product I'd ever use would be BioSpira... Cycle and StressZyme aren't actual cycling products, even though they claim to be. The general consensus with them, I belive, is that they have some benefit AFTER your cycle has started. The bacteria in the bottles are in spores to protect them and prolong their life. Only outside reactions would make them break out of the spore (ie: ammonia, nitrosomas, etc.) and actually start to reproduce.

I like the natural way of cycling too. It may take slightly longer, but you know it's cycled and don't have to worry about it not being.

If you explain a little more about your tank situation and current water test readings, maybe that will help.

I agree that the natural way is best. As Steven said the quick ways are a waste of money. Patience is a wonderful thing.

No I dont use them for cycling I use them for water changes.

Kurt_Nelson said:
pinda said:
No I dont use them for cycling I use them for water changes.

Why?
Just making sure if I add too much new water that I still have enough bacteria in the tank. Maybe I am just paranoid.

The bacteria is not really in the water column, it resides in the substrate and LR also filter media. You will be ok doing PWCs without adding it.

Agree with roka64... no need to add it. Shoot... I've done 50%+ water changes on my quarantine tank (no fish in it at the time) and it never bothered the biological filter.

Wow could have sworn that it was in the water all this time.

If it makes you feel any better, I just added about 20-30 gallons of premixed water last night, after the cat chewed through another output tube from my filter. I have fish and inverts in there.

pinda said:
Wow could have sworn that it was in the water all this time.
There probably is a very small amount of the bacteria, just moving from one place to another, but not enough to amount to anything.

I agree that there is very little in the water if any. Sand and LR is where most or it is.

Back
Top Bottom