Cycled!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Almost 6 weeks later, and my 75g tank is cycled.

Ammonia is gone and nitrates are between zero and one. Nitrate is rising and I'm getting ready to do a big water change tomorrow (mixing up water today).

I moved my damsel from the QT tank back to the big tank yesterday, so I've got him, an arrow crab and 6 turbo snails.

Made the mistake (again) of taking the part-time LPS clerk's advice regarding a jeweled damsel - he said it wasn't aggressive at all.

It was. Spent most of its time chasing my other damsel, and nipping/diving at the arrow crab and snails. Once it about knocked a snail off the top of a piece of LR.

Took some effort to catch it, but I returned it to the LPS and exchanged it for two percula's. They're acclimating right now.

I've found the magnetic tank cleaners work really well! Spent some time last night going all around the tank with it. Very easy to work with, compared to sticking your hand in there with a brush.

Oh, and for those who commented on my cyano and hair algea problems - the cyano is still around (although the snails keep eating it), and its starting to grow back on my LS, which I just added to a few days ago. Seems like its really slowed down though. Used to, overnight, it would completely cover a "clean" area of LS.

Wow, turbo snails sure do poop a lot - there are droppings anywhere they've spent time - they look like tiny rabbit foot pellets. A big vacuum job is coming up with the PWC tomorrow.

Most of the hair algea, which was covering a few pieces of LR and most of the decorations, and the algea that looks like fuzzy grass growing on the LR, has started to die off - its gone from a reddish brown color to a greyish brown, and looks less than healthy.

Onward and upward!

Back
Top Bottom