Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Carey,

So sorry to keep bugging you. I have one snail that has set in the same place since they entered the tank. The rest immediatley burrowed under the surface and other than the occasional sighting, I'm not sure what they are up to. The one however has stayed in the same place.... it appears to be alive and moving, it just doesn't seem interested in moving. Any advice on what might be going on there?

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Maybe he's hungry. If you have burrowing snails they most likely could be the narscisus snails I have which do not eat algae but actual fish food. Throw just a pinch of flake food in there and see if him and the others dont rise to the surface to eat.

Thats the reason I keep so many, as soon as I feed the tank it's like free money day at the bank, every single one is up and snailing around looking for vittles.

Also, if you have/get hermits make sure you get some extra shells for them, they are infamous for killing others for their shells. It may not stop them from killing each other entirely but it can help.

And you are so not bothering me, I;m actually kinda bored and doing some online browsing for tank gear.

If I'm not online someone else will surely chime in, why I love this forum so much.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

O.K., well my son and I will be visiting our LFS for some food tomorrow and I'll drop a pinch or two in to supplement their diet. Honestly, it looks as though my emerald crab and hermit crabs are picking at my rocks for food. They are leaving "Clean" patches behind as they graze over the rock. I spied a snail on my glass a couple of evenings ago, but haven't seen any one of them, except that "one," since putting them into the tank.

I'd love to get a fish tomorrow, but thought it would be smart to see how everything goes. The local FS guys suggested, if I wanted, a blue damsel as a sturdy fish. They mentioned that a clown is also very sturdy, but I want them to be happy and comfortable. I'd also like to add coral to this tank, so I was under the impression, I should add some coral first, then fish.

Anyway, like I have mentioned! You're awesome and thanks so much for all of your help!

Mike
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Theres no particular order to add things, if you want a coral then get one. I woudln't recommend a damsel though, very aggressive usually and a pain to get out of the tank when you've decided you've had enough of them. lol

The crab and hermits are indeed algae eaters and very good ones at that. Its the snails that can be different as far as I know.

You can chekc out the clean up crews over at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and see what eats what and then you can go to the lfs with at least a plan.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi Carey!

Well, I bit the bullet and added four pieces of coral. Two varieties of polyps on small pieces of rock, which I located higher on the live rock, a star polyp, which is more of a medium size in the middle and a torch coral towards the bottom. All have opened fully and seem to be doing well after a day! My fingers are crossed! Since the Torch Coral is reputed to be a more "Aggressive" type coral I positioned it away from the others.... just in case.

I also added three turbo snails (It was supposed to be two, but the LFS included a third) and am really, really impressed at how they clean the live rock. But they do seem to live up to the bulldozer description many have given them! I also got talked into a Fire Shrimp which is really pretty. I'm amazed that it is not afraid of my hand at all. When I was placing the coral it came right at me and actually sat on my hand a few times. Not sure if he's trying to be territorial? He and the emerald crab steer clear from one another, but all in all, the CUC seems to get along just fine!

I had a treat when I placed some pellet food on the bottom and watched all my Narcissus snails rise out of the sand and go for the food! It was fun!

I've removed the bio balls and ceramic rings and left the sponges and carbon. My plan is to remove the sponges when I receive the Stevie T rack next week and put in the Floss, chem-pure, and purigen in the first chamber and of course keeping the carbon in the second chamber. I may place one sponge underneath the carbon. I'm thinking that after the new media rack is in place and up in running for a few days, I'll take the plunge and purchase a percula clown and goby watchman. Do you think that I might be able to get away with a third fish? Perhaps another percula or another type?

Thanks again, and I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

Mike
Old 09-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldnt add three fish all at once to be honest. Your cycle was light to begin with and now that you have corals we wanna keep your parameters in check.

Fire shrimp are awesome, didn't I mention that? lol Cleaners will do the same thing, crawl on your hand if you let em.

Watch those turbo snails, they are known to be bulldozers, knocking frags and rocks around. lol I have only one in my 29g cube and he's an eating machine. But I also dont plan on corals in the cube and the rocks are all pretty big.

Maybe you could start with the clown and go from there? Do your tests and maybe the following week add the remaining fish. ANy ideas on what a third fish you would want would be? Firefish are pretty neat and small.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey Carey! Hope you had a good weekend.

You weren't kidding about the snails..... They are bulldozers, but they have been champs cleaning algae. They have pushed some of my coral around, but haven't knocked any over yet. But still, I think I'm going to see if I can return two of the three back to the store.

I kinda feel silly with my fire shrimp. I get startled when I have my hand in the tank and it comes charging out from the rocks. Then again, I was moving a piece of coral and I didn't notice the shrimp was crawling all over my hand.

I'm at work until Thursday, so when I get home I'm thinking about getting a percula clown! Then wait and then look at getting a yellow goby and/or fire fish liked you suggested.

Once I get the clown, I'll start posting a few pics.

Best Regards,

Mike
Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Glad it's all working out for you! And yeah, you better post some pictures!

The shrimp still startle me too, it's just weird to have something so fragile and alive on your hand. lol

Tags
change, cycle, cycled, led, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com