Cycled? Water Change & Vaccum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKFMedic

Aquarium Advice Activist
A loaded question for sure, but here's the scoop. I started my 12 gal nano reef tank almost two weeks ago. Water tests using API liquid drop test:

Am 0
pH 8.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Brown mold spots and fine algae started growing in my tank on about 4 or 5 days ago. I went to my local FS, and they tested my water and suggested adding some CUC, so I went with their advice and added 1 emerald crab, 5 snails (The ones that bury themselves in the sand) and a couple of hermits. With the exception of one snail, they all seem happy and well this morning (+3 days after introducing them into the tank) and are happily munching away at the algae grown. Well, the crabs anyway, I only see some of the "Periscopes" from the snails, but assume that means they are alive.

My sand in areas has large amounts of brown spots as well as the back part of the tank and the glass.

Here are my questions and believe me when I tell you that I appreciate your patience!

Is it time to do a small water change? If so, should I "Vacuum" the sand. Should I leave the algae growth on the back of the tank, or can I clean that as well?

Should I add more CUC critters? I wanted to be conservative with my intial critters, but I'm not really sure if I should add more.

Finally, has my tank "Cycled" since I have maintained 0 Am, 0 nitrite, for a week now?

Thanks again your help and support!

Mike

Did you ever have your ammonia spike? Without that and a nitrite spike you can't be cycled. :-(

I personally wouldnt have added anything to a cycling tank but thats just me...

Carey,

As far as Amonia, I believe after a couple of days the initial testing was between .5 and 1ppm. Again, I saw it remain at that level for a couple of tests, then three days ago, Am was at 0. Again, this morning 0.

My Nitrites did rise to somewhere between .5 and 1ppm and then over the last 3 water tests reduced to 0. They never went above 1ppm though. This morning, after returning from two days of work, I tested again and the Nitrates remain at 0.

It can be a tad overwhelming to read all the various posts on this subject and to figure where my tank falls into the mix. I hope I didn't mess up too badly listening to the LFS.

Anyway, I do appreciate that you always take the time to answer my questions.

Mike

From that information I would say you cycled, but with a small bacteria base. Did you does your tank with ammonia at all? Or use a dead shrimp? Or was it strictly live rock that you used? :)

Carey,

No dead shrimp, just 18 lbs or so of live rock, and "Live Sand," that came with some sort of "bacteria packet," that I mixed and put into the tank.

I did not dose the aquarium with amonia. Honestly didn't know I was supposed to, but the LFS recommended that I use a product called FritzZyme 9, which I used according to the instructions.

Thanks Again,

Mike

I think you might be ready for a small fish or a pair of clowns if youre after them. Just make sure you test your water frequently as you may have a mini cycle. You have the bacteria in your system since you did have some readings but it's probably not a huge bacteria base so I would err on the side of caution.

Good luck! Can't wait to see the addition you decide on!

Hey Carey,

Thanks again for the advice and input. I think I'll hold off on the fish until I have ideal, and consistent water conditions. I have a "Stevie T" media rack that should arrive after labor day, so I'm planning on installing that, removing the ceramic rings and bio balls and giving the reef more time to adjust to that change. Then I'd like to add some easy to maintain coral and/or fish in the weeks following.

Do you think I could add more CUC to the tank?

What do you think about a 1.5 gal water change at this point? Which would allow me to suction up some of the detritus and dirty sand? Or should I leave it because it is part of the cycle and food for the CUC?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Mike

I would add a few more cuc if you like, just remember they need to be fed since you have no fish yet.

I wouldnt change the water yet, let anything like ammonia work its way through the system and maybe it will strengthen your bacteria. You can vacuum very lightly the surface of the sand if you like, but dont; muck it up too bad or you might have a parameter swing.

Carey,

You're Awesome! Thanks so much for all of your help! I was thinking about adding a surface type snail or two that won't hurt the rocks or future live coral. Any suggestions? I'll leave the water and sand alone for now!

I was under the impression that the clean up crew eats the algae in the tank and on the rock? Although the rock looks a lot cleaner from two days ago! What do I feed the CUC guys?

You've been a great help!

Mike

They will eat the algae and flake or pellets. SInce your tank is so new it might not have enough algae for them to eat for all of them. :)

When I had my 55g idle with only hermits and snails every few days i would put in a pinch or two of flake food.

There is also cuc that doesnt eat algae. Narsiscus (sp?) snails dont eat algae for instance but do stir up your sand bed and eat regular fish food.
They are my most favorite cuc members except for bob my sea hare. lol

Ideally you dont want a tank of hungry inverts so go in moderation is my best advice.

How long do you intend on waiting for a fish? A week or two? You can also add some shrimp if your water is stable, they eat flake food too and are neat to watch and feed on flake food too. And anything else they can get their little claws on.

Carey,

So sorry to keep bugging you. I have one snail that has set in the same place since they entered the tank. The rest immediatley burrowed under the surface and other than the occasional sighting, I'm not sure what they are up to. The one however has stayed in the same place.... it appears to be alive and moving, it just doesn't seem interested in moving. Any advice on what might be going on there?

Thanks again,

Mike

Maybe he's hungry. If you have burrowing snails they most likely could be the narscisus snails I have which do not eat algae but actual fish food. Throw just a pinch of flake food in there and see if him and the others dont rise to the surface to eat.

Thats the reason I keep so many, as soon as I feed the tank it's like free money day at the bank, every single one is up and snailing around looking for vittles.

Also, if you have/get hermits make sure you get some extra shells for them, they are infamous for killing others for their shells. It may not stop them from killing each other entirely but it can help.

And you are so not bothering me, I;m actually kinda bored and doing some online browsing for tank gear.

If I'm not online someone else will surely chime in, why I love this forum so much. :-D

O.K., well my son and I will be visiting our LFS for some food tomorrow and I'll drop a pinch or two in to supplement their diet. Honestly, it looks as though my emerald crab and hermit crabs are picking at my rocks for food. They are leaving "Clean" patches behind as they graze over the rock. I spied a snail on my glass a couple of evenings ago, but haven't seen any one of them, except that "one," since putting them into the tank.

I'd love to get a fish tomorrow, but thought it would be smart to see how everything goes. The local FS guys suggested, if I wanted, a blue damsel as a sturdy fish. They mentioned that a clown is also very sturdy, but I want them to be happy and comfortable. I'd also like to add coral to this tank, so I was under the impression, I should add some coral first, then fish.

Anyway, like I have mentioned! You're awesome and thanks so much for all of your help!

Mike

Theres no particular order to add things, if you want a coral then get one. I woudln't recommend a damsel though, very aggressive usually and a pain to get out of the tank when you've decided you've had enough of them. lol

The crab and hermits are indeed algae eaters and very good ones at that. Its the snails that can be different as far as I know.

You can chekc out the clean up crews over at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and see what eats what and then you can go to the lfs with at least a plan. :)

Hi Carey!

Well, I bit the bullet and added four pieces of coral. Two varieties of polyps on small pieces of rock, which I located higher on the live rock, a star polyp, which is more of a medium size in the middle and a torch coral towards the bottom. All have opened fully and seem to be doing well after a day! My fingers are crossed! Since the Torch Coral is reputed to be a more "Aggressive" type coral I positioned it away from the others.... just in case.

I also added three turbo snails (It was supposed to be two, but the LFS included a third) and am really, really impressed at how they clean the live rock. But they do seem to live up to the bulldozer description many have given them! I also got talked into a Fire Shrimp which is really pretty. I'm amazed that it is not afraid of my hand at all. When I was placing the coral it came right at me and actually sat on my hand a few times. Not sure if he's trying to be territorial? He and the emerald crab steer clear from one another, but all in all, the CUC seems to get along just fine!

I had a treat when I placed some pellet food on the bottom and watched all my Narcissus snails rise out of the sand and go for the food! It was fun!

I've removed the bio balls and ceramic rings and left the sponges and carbon. My plan is to remove the sponges when I receive the Stevie T rack next week and put in the Floss, chem-pure, and purigen in the first chamber and of course keeping the carbon in the second chamber. I may place one sponge underneath the carbon. I'm thinking that after the new media rack is in place and up in running for a few days, I'll take the plunge and purchase a percula clown and goby watchman. Do you think that I might be able to get away with a third fish? Perhaps another percula or another type?

Thanks again, and I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

Mike

I wouldnt add three fish all at once to be honest. Your cycle was light to begin with and now that you have corals we wanna keep your parameters in check.

Fire shrimp are awesome, didn't I mention that? lol Cleaners will do the same thing, crawl on your hand if you let em.

Watch those turbo snails, they are known to be bulldozers, knocking frags and rocks around. lol I have only one in my 29g cube and he's an eating machine. But I also dont plan on corals in the cube and the rocks are all pretty big.

Maybe you could start with the clown and go from there? Do your tests and maybe the following week add the remaining fish. ANy ideas on what a third fish you would want would be? Firefish are pretty neat and small.

Hey Carey! Hope you had a good weekend.

You weren't kidding about the snails..... They are bulldozers, but they have been champs cleaning algae. They have pushed some of my coral around, but haven't knocked any over yet. But still, I think I'm going to see if I can return two of the three back to the store.

I kinda feel silly with my fire shrimp. I get startled when I have my hand in the tank and it comes charging out from the rocks. Then again, I was moving a piece of coral and I didn't notice the shrimp was crawling all over my hand.

I'm at work until Thursday, so when I get home I'm thinking about getting a percula clown! Then wait and then look at getting a yellow goby and/or fire fish liked you suggested.

Once I get the clown, I'll start posting a few pics.

Best Regards,

Mike

Glad it's all working out for you! And yeah, you better post some pictures!

The shrimp still startle me too, it's just weird to have something so fragile and alive on your hand. lol

Back
Top Bottom