Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cycleing a nano tank

Hi, i've been cycleing for a month, i have a 8g nano tank with live rocks, live sand... How long should you cycle a tank before adding invert? & when its ready how many should i add? Then how long do you wait til you can add a fish?

Old 07-28-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

There is not certain time limit on cycling a tank. What you are looking for is a spike in Ammonia and then a decline in ammonia and a spike in NitrItes at that point ammonia should be 0. From there you will see a decline in NitrItes and a spike in NitrAtes. When you have 0 Ammonia and 0 NitrItes and a high number of NitrAtes it's time for a PWC and then you are ready to start adding your clean up crew. Keep a check on your levels as you do this. After a week or so of lower NitrAtes ( less then 20 preferablely lower) then you can add a fish. In a nano tank you are going to be limited to the fish you add so make sure to research your selections carefully.

You may want to go the the article section of the site (link in my signature) and read about cycling your tank. That will walk you step by step on what to look for.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with Ziggy. When you are ready to add a fish or two, here is a good reference point:
Nano Fish
I would also suggest you get you own liquid test kits, a refractometer and top offs of FW from a RO/DI.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #4

Cycleing a nano tank

i have a kit to test water so i will keep do that, thanks i never would of known that. i have been reserching alot but i guess not enough. i want to get this right, what is a refractometer?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgirl1027 View Post
what is a refractometer?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...57&pcatid=9957

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

A refractometer is a device to measure salinity, more precisely it is measuring the speed of light through your aquariums water. They are more accurate than hydrometers, but less accurate than a conductivity meter/probe. Here is an example of a handheld refrac: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Captive_Purity_Refractometer_ Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Testing_Equipment_Opti cal_Refractometers~vendor~Captive_Purity~SearchStr ~refractometer~action~view~idProduct~CP2111~idCate gory~FITEOPRF.html
Old 07-29-2008, 01:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you said you've been cycling a month... what exactly did you do to "start" the cycle?

Reason I ask is because if you didn't add any ammonia source (fish food, cocktail shrimp, a fish (oops!)) then you haven't been cycling... you've just been watching a tank full of saltwater sit there. If you added an ammonia source, then as Ziggy mentioned, you should've seen the ammonia rise, then the nitrites rise. If you added an ammonia source, and weren't testing, then you might've missed the cycle and you've ended up with a tank full of nitrates.

Might want to go back and read up on the whole "cycling" thingie...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html
Old 07-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #8

Now this is getting really confusing! What the guy said in the fish store was to cycle for a month before putting in fish. i have been reserching & i never heard of adding fish food or a shrimp before but, i'm new at this so i guess i have to keep reading. My tank has 10lbs. of live rock & live sand in it, its a 8g. oceanic bio tank. i do have a test kit & readings are normal, i will get a refractometer.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did the guy at the LFS instruct you to cycle the tank?

If you haven't given the tank an ammonia source (fish food, shrimp, or even die off from the live rock) then your test readings should be "normal"... in other words 0.0 for ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. That's because it's still just a tank of salt water with no biological activity going on.

If there was a cycle, and it's over now, then you should see some measurable level of nitrates. Nitrates are the end result of the whole nitrogen cycle. That assumes though that the water you put in the tank had no measurable nitrates in it to start with. If you used tap water to fill the tank, then I wouldn't assume that nitrates in the tank mean you're cycled. They could've been in there from day one from your tap water.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #10

The guy at the LFS just told me to cycle for a month before adding any fish & that was it. i use R/O i get from the fish store in 5 gallon bottles already mixed with sait. To be honest with you i missed one week of not testing the water but, the readings what i rember were 0 & they are still 0. So, should i go & buy fish food to put in the tank? & what kind to i use & how much? i know you mentioned about a refractometer, do i really need one & if so are they expensive? By the way thank you for helping me understand better.

Tags
cycle, nano, nano tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com