cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxmulder

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello!

I've just started a new 40g reef tank. I'm planing to cycle it with live rock.
The question is: is it a good idea to add some old aquarium water from my existing tank in order to speed up the cycling process? Or will it do more harm than good?

Thanks!

The water won't really help you in the cycling process. If you can steal rock(s) or something tangible, it will help to bring over some of the beneficial bacteria to help kickstart your cycle.

Would some sponge from the existing aquarium's filter help?
And also: how much lighting should I provide during cycling... normal 12 hours a day or less?

Thanks!

The sponge would work, assuming it was in a tank being used. Just make sure you didn't use copper in the other tank.
You don't really need lights for the cycle.

Yeah, anything from an established aquarium will help.

Also, it's best to run no lighting during the cycle. The high levels of ammonia and nitrIte can cause algae blooms, so the darker the better. The bacteria don't care about the lights anyway.

The reason you dont need the water for cycling purposes is that the water carries little or none of the nitrifying bacteria that cycles the tank. The nitrifying bacteria resides on surfaces like the tank glass and on LR.

ok. thanks.
should I buy an UV sterilizer. do you guys use one?

Back
Top Bottom