Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fird

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had this Biocube 29 for 2 weeks already, I think the cycling process is long overdue. Im going to my lfs tomorrow to buy live sand, salt mix, base rock and live rock.

My questions are:

1) Is there anything else i have to buy for cycling purposes?

2) When cycling what other variables do i have to consider and how do i have to run the tank as far as filtering and lighting?

3) Can i use regular faucet water or do i have to use filtered? 29g is alot of water!

4) Does temperature matter? Im going to order a skimmer and a heater but do i need them for cycling?

1. Maybe an ammonia source, but the dye off from your rock might be enough. Do you have a test kit for at least pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? a hydrometer or a refractometer to check SG

2. Lighting is not needed, some people recommend leaving them off so algae doesn't have a chance to grow. Adding the sand and everything will probably cloud up your water a bit so running the filter will help.

3. Filtered water is always best especially for reef. tap water has a lot of minerals that will help algae grow. I bought salt water from my LFS for $4 per 5 gallons and DI water for $2.50 per 5 gallon.

4. I don't think temperature matters but it'll be easier to keep your temp at the ideal level instead of running the heater like crazy to warm it up later

Back
Top Bottom