Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cycling

I've had this Biocube 29 for 2 weeks already, I think the cycling process is long overdue. Im going to my lfs tomorrow to buy live sand, salt mix, base rock and live rock.

My questions are:

1) Is there anything else i have to buy for cycling purposes?

2) When cycling what other variables do i have to consider and how do i have to run the tank as far as filtering and lighting?

3) Can i use regular faucet water or do i have to use filtered? 29g is alot of water!

4) Does temperature matter? Im going to order a skimmer and a heater but do i need them for cycling?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

1. Maybe an ammonia source, but the dye off from your rock might be enough. Do you have a test kit for at least pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? a hydrometer or a refractometer to check SG

2. Lighting is not needed, some people recommend leaving them off so algae doesn't have a chance to grow. Adding the sand and everything will probably cloud up your water a bit so running the filter will help.

3. Filtered water is always best especially for reef. tap water has a lot of minerals that will help algae grow. I bought salt water from my LFS for $4 per 5 gallons and DI water for $2.50 per 5 gallon.

4. I don't think temperature matters but it'll be easier to keep your temp at the ideal level instead of running the heater like crazy to warm it up later

Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html
Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the link didnt work for some reason, lets try again

Cycle your salt tank
Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Seems simple, thanks!

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com