Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

test for Amm and trites,as soon as these are 0(use a liquid test kit)test for trates,do a 30% pwc and then your good to add your CUC and 1 fish.Dont add more than 1 fish/month

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I took a water sample to petco yesterday and they said my ammonia level was perfect and so was my nitrate level. But my nitrite was still a little to high. But i added 5 hermits and 3 snails yesterday and they are still moving around today. I ordered a clean up crew yesterday at reefcleaners and was thinking of also buying a shrimp today. What do you guys think?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #13

I was also wondering when I would be able to start putting some corals in?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not being funny but why ask the questions if your not going to take the advice,the wost thing you can do in this hobby is rush.dont add anything until Amm and trites are both 0,it doesn't matter too much about the trates until the others are 0
Old 04-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You definitely should not be adding any living creature into a tank that does not have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.

Please get a test kit and test your own water, it would save you alot of hassle and allow you to keep your fish alive.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #16

I appreciate your guys advice and I checked my levels again and they were all 0. So the ppl at petco said I could add a few snails and hermits to see if it was Safe. And I have my own test kit. I was just told that b4 I put anything in my tank to bring a sample to Lfs
Old 04-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have my own api sw test kit and the only reason I still have LFS test my water sometimes is just double check because I know they are pretty horrible at testing. The other day when I tank just finished cycling, I tested my water around 11PM and had like 40-60 nitrate. The next day, I took a bottle of water to the LFS to test it and they said 0-5PPM of nitrate. I tested the water again that same night and found my nitrate at about 20ppm. They did not shake the bottle like the instructions + they did not use a lid, but used their fingers. That just proves how careless they can be sometimes.

You might as why I still go to this LFS, the reason is they have the cleanest tanks and cheapest prices around. LFS will tell you to do something to make money even though it might hurt you.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiy View Post
I appreciate your guys advice and I checked my levels again and they were all 0. So the ppl at petco said I could add a few snails and hermits to see if it was Safe. And I have my own test kit. I was just told that b4 I put anything in my tank to bring a sample to Lfs
Thats fine,as long as they are 0,whats your nitrate reading this shouldn't be 0 after a cycle unless you've done a big water change
If its around 20 do a small pwc,if its more do a larger 30%-50% pwc then you can start to add your fish slowly,1 at a time/month
Old 04-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhiy View Post
I was also wondering when I would be able to start putting some corals in?
I would wait at least 6 months,let your tank establish itself and so you can get used to all the work needed to be done to a tank,also what lights do you have
Old 04-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #20

I have a 10k daylight, 420nm actinic with 4 bulbs that are 65w each. Straight pin bulbs

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com