Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ni111

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right, i have been cycling for about 5 days now, i put the shrimp in and then got advice from a lfs that if the shrimps stomach explodes it can do damage to your water so i took it out yesterday. I havent tested for anything yet but i have the strip test kits and yes i have read about the saltwater tester but ive just spent £24 on 25 5 in 1 test strips and 25 ammonia test strips so im not going to buy the saltwater test kit till there all gone. When shall i test the water?

that is the most ridiculous thing i ever heard. shrimps stomach explodes? LOL!
you want the shrimp to rot away. trust me, it's not gonna explode..

+1

You don't have to worry about anything exploding. I have a couple shrimp in my tank right now for cycling and everything is fine. I did put them in nylon bags first to help with cleanup later but there was no exploding stomachs or exploding anything.

Oh okay ah well i left it in for a few days anyway and it was rotting away and i took it out before it rotted too much

genral hardness 180. Carbonate hardness 180 (whatever that is). ph 7.5. Nitrates 40. Nitrite 0 because they havent spiked. ammonia 1.0

Describe the rock you have in there and its origin. The ammonia level is very low for a cycling tank - unless the rock was cured and had needed bacteria already on it that absorbs ammonia. Nitrates at 40 makes me think you might have had established rock and you won't see a cycle.

The rocks all look quite diffrent, theres red parts and yellow parts. Theres a few sort of like small plants coming of parts and theres a few shells of tube worms also a tube worm on it. Got it from lfs and it got took out of a tank they had which had fish in and snails. Would that mean i have to put another prawn back in :(

No, that may mean you have an instant cycle with already established rock. I'd do water changes to get that ammonia down. Need to get that Ph adjusted too. Once both of those are in order, I'd consider adding your first fish. Decided yet what your total stocking'll be and who's in first?

Are you still testing with test strips? If so, I'd consider getting an API test kit and ensuring those strips aren't misleading you before you make any important decisions.

Really ? :D Thats great thanks. Yes have my stock list, a goby or blenny at first with a cleaner shrimp, then after them 2 clowns, then still deciding on something else. Yes i am testin with strips i will try to get the test kit and will do the water changes thanks :D

Right then, IF the rock is established i dont have an ro/di unit to change the water because i didnt think id need it yet, how would i change the ph and is the water hardness bad or good ?

Ph buffers can get it in line, but do the water change first. I'd do about 20-30%. Use Distilled water from the grocery store if you think your tap isn't good enuf on phosphate readings or has other issues.

How long are your lights on by the way?

Is this going to be a reef tank?

I have aquasafe to put in the water, is that any good ? lights are on from about 10 am till about 11 pm. No not going to be a reef tank.

I'd go ahead and use tap water to do your water change. Lower the light cycle to 8 or 9 hours on also. I'm not a fan of additives to the water. Maybe a ph buffer for the time being though. What are you trying to accomplish with Aquasafe?

I don't know anything about the hardness.

It says "makes tap water safe for fish" neutralises harmful chlorine,chloramine and heavy metals and clears the water.

Back
Top Bottom