Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cycling

Right, i have been cycling for about 5 days now, i put the shrimp in and then got advice from a lfs that if the shrimps stomach explodes it can do damage to your water so i took it out yesterday. I havent tested for anything yet but i have the strip test kits and yes i have read about the saltwater tester but ive just spent 24 on 25 5 in 1 test strips and 25 ammonia test strips so im not going to buy the saltwater test kit till there all gone. When shall i test the water?

Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
that is the most ridiculous thing i ever heard. shrimps stomach explodes? LOL!
you want the shrimp to rot away. trust me, it's not gonna explode..

Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1

You don't have to worry about anything exploding. I have a couple shrimp in my tank right now for cycling and everything is fine. I did put them in nylon bags first to help with cleanup later but there was no exploding stomachs or exploding anything.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh okay ah well i left it in for a few days anyway and it was rotting away and i took it out before it rotted too much
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

You are testing the water, right? What was the ammonia when you removed the shrimp?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

genral hardness 180. Carbonate hardness 180 (whatever that is). ph 7.5. Nitrates 40. Nitrite 0 because they havent spiked. ammonia 1.0
Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Describe the rock you have in there and its origin. The ammonia level is very low for a cycling tank - unless the rock was cured and had needed bacteria already on it that absorbs ammonia. Nitrates at 40 makes me think you might have had established rock and you won't see a cycle.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 07-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

The rocks all look quite diffrent, theres red parts and yellow parts. Theres a few sort of like small plants coming of parts and theres a few shells of tube worms also a tube worm on it. Got it from lfs and it got took out of a tank they had which had fish in and snails. Would that mean i have to put another prawn back in
Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

No, that may mean you have an instant cycle with already established rock. I'd do water changes to get that ammonia down. Need to get that Ph adjusted too. Once both of those are in order, I'd consider adding your first fish. Decided yet what your total stocking'll be and who's in first?

Are you still testing with test strips? If so, I'd consider getting an API test kit and ensuring those strips aren't misleading you before you make any important decisions.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Really ? Thats great thanks. Yes have my stock list, a goby or blenny at first with a cleaner shrimp, then after them 2 clowns, then still deciding on something else. Yes i am testin with strips i will try to get the test kit and will do the water changes thanks

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com