cycling ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason M

Aquarium Advice Freak
my 55 gallon tank is in cycling for 2 weeks now and it is able to process large amounts of ammonia within 8 to 12 hours. I can't process nitrite as fast yet so my levels are off the chart for an api test kit. needless to say my nitrates are also off the chart. Up above 160 ppm due to the huge amount of ammonia I originally introduced by accident. Should I do a partial wc so the clams that came with the rock don't die?

Sorry I accidently posted this thread twice well actually 1 1/2 times

Yes, do a water change, especially if you have too much amonia. You may want to change 50%. If you get some live rock in there it may speed things up. You dont need amonia, you just need to feed tank flakes or pellets and they will decompose as needed.

My ammonia goes down to 0 from over 8 ppm in like 10 hours right now I went a day without dozing it just cuz I don't want the nitrite to go any higher till I can get a readable fall

Right now my ammonia is zero and I gave it 8 ppm last night. Thee nitrite is at 5 cuz that's the max. Red is the highest for nitrate and it is way beyond that with a very very dark red

I would stop the amonia and just feed the tank twice a day with enough food for one or two fish (even though you have no fish) and that will provide the right nutriants for the bacteria as it slowly decomposes rather than shocking it with amonia over and over. My tank cycled in less than two weeks this way.

I was thinking of getting love sand this weekend but am cautious on buying that bagged stuff from lfs

Back
Top Bottom