Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2004, 05:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
I had to dump the skimmer once already i pluged it in lastnight and it was full today and i already changed the water lastnightit is a 60g and i changed 12g is that good im not good with math lol

my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 05:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Haha, I don't think that I would waste my time doing exactly 30% lol I remember when I was doing freshwater I would just eyeball about a third and that was good enough for me lol.

Wow a full cup in just a day, shows how much crap was floating around raising your ammonia levels. What kinda skimmer you got?

And also could you test the water and check out the levels to see if that ammonia is on its way down.

PS - that was a 20% change but I don't think that it matters...

Here is what I have now...

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
100W (maybe 150W) heater, but heating isnt a prob
1.5 inches of crushed coral
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Crappy lights that I am going to rebuild, just for come flourescents
excited_newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
my amonia was at about 6 before the water change it was off the charts the skimmer was a costum one built into my wet/dry filter I will let yas know how it is comming alone
my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright, it's nice to see that it is coming down.

Keep us posted!

Here is what I have now...

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
100W (maybe 150W) heater, but heating isnt a prob
1.5 inches of crushed coral
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Crappy lights that I am going to rebuild, just for come flourescents
excited_newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Did you get any increase in nitrites or nitrates over the 5 weeks? Or did the levels remain at zero all the way through? I had a similar problem where the gravel was all brown and the water turned green...but correct me if I'm wrong, seems lik eyou have an algae bloom happening and you need to reduce the nutrients by reducing your feeding and siphon out any uneaten food from the substrate. Introducing algae eaters and hermit crabs are a definate help and its basically a "must" in helping to keep your algae levels lower.

Also try reducing your lighting to less hours per day until the algae is more managable. ANd check that your light tube has been replaced every 6-8 months as they lose their spectrum output and helps grow algae after a while

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com