Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2004, 11:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
cycling

I have fish only with live rock my tank apparintly never cycled all the way so i am cycling it now with 1 damsel he is mean and attacks my other fish my other fish are in the qt my tank has been cycling for 5 weeks and still no nitrites any idea on why this can be my tank is covered in alge and the sand has turned all brown and green the amonia is still very high someone please help me thank you Jester
oh ya i have a wet dry with the bio media still in i a uv sterilizer and a protien skimmer not pluged in

my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well first of all I would plug you protein skimmer in for sure. Since proteins break down into ammonia, that very well could be your problem. If your tank has ben cycling for five weeks I would assume that you are probably should be done. And how about a cleaning crew for the agae and the sand. Do you have some snails, or shrimp?

I would suggest that first od all you turn your skimmer on, important for ammonia, and next start on some serious water changes. That should put you on the right road.

If there is anyone else with mre suggestions that would be great, cause I am definately not the expert.

HTH!

Here is what I have now...

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
100W (maybe 150W) heater, but heating isnt a prob
1.5 inches of crushed coral
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Crappy lights that I am going to rebuild, just for come flourescents
excited_newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

is it safe to put my shrimp in there I have snails in there now but my shrimp are in my qt i dont want to lose themand i did plug my skimmer in
my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
Old 03-20-2004, 12:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Allright, well I will leave the shrimp questions to the experts. Why id you have your skimmer off?

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Old 03-20-2004, 12:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yes definately do a couple water changes. Do you have any live rock?? That would help.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yah he has 25 lbs of LR I think. He also has some live sand, but there rest is play sand. I assume that that is still true, it is just in his signature.

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
Old 03-20-2004, 12:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes that is all true i am getting more live rock soon probley another 25 pounds should i just do a 25% water change and see wat that does

Old 03-20-2004, 01:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

That sounds very resonable. And keep doing them say every four day maybe until the problem levels decrease. Also what type of water are you using for water changes? I believe that RO/DI is the best, just try to avoid tap water, and if you do use it make suer that you treat it with some chlorine/chloromine stuff.

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
Old 03-20-2004, 02:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes i am using tap but i do use kordon amquel plus I let the water sit for a week before i use it i have lots of buckets will it still cycle if i change the water every 4 days thanks once again

Old 03-20-2004, 05:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will leave this one to the pro's but I think that your tank will still cycle with water changed as long as you only do like a 30% change. I am not sure, but 5 weeks sounds like a really long time to cycle. Hope there are other that are more knowledgable but I would start the water changes and keep the skimmer running. BTW keep us updated on how it is looking. Did turning on the skimmer make any difference so far?

Good luck!

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com