Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cycling

I am researching how to set up a salt water tank...? I have no idea how. First thing, does it need to "cycle" the same way as freshwater? And specific chemicals needed for Sw?
Specific filter for SW?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkiggy
I am researching how to set up a salt water tank...? I have no idea how. First thing, does it need to "cycle" the same way as freshwater? And specific chemicals needed for Sw?
Specific filter for SW?
Yes. Every tank, even SW, will need to cycle. Fish less cycle is preferred. There are some great articles on this forum about cycling. You can use liquid ammonia or toss in a couple of raw shrimp and let them rot. The ammonia method smells a lot better. Lol.
I avoid chemicals in my tank as much as possible. You'll need to use distilled or RO water for SW, otherwise you'll end up with a huge algae and/or cyano outbreak.
For filters, there's hob, canister or sump. I have never used a sump. I have a 55g with a Fluval canister and it works great. I have a 30 g with a hob, which works good, but a PIA to clean IMO. just get a filter that's rated for twice the size of your tank for SW.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cycling is easy for SW

So is filtration

Just use at least 1lb of live rock per 1 gallon of water, at least 1/2 lb of live sand per gallon of water and really good circulation and that's pretty much it.

Unless youre doing a larger tank
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Put the raw shrimp in a mesh bag. Easier to pull out and remove or add more but OMG...the smell is atrocious when you take the bag out! LOL!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish less will do. I have a Fluval on my freshwater. Haven't decided yet for saltwater. Maybe a 20 gallon Nano. I have two Aquaclear filters laying around. A 50 and a 70. Use same media for freshwater? Sponge, bioballs, ammonia remover and carbon?
Don't U need a chiller and stuff? Water has to be cold?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chillers are really expensive. I would set up the tank, and if your temp with all the equipment on gets above 81, try some small clip-on fans blowing across the top of water to cool it. If that doesn't work, some people will freeze bottle if water and float them frozen bottle in tank to cool it. If that doesn't work, then you'll probably need a chiller. Not everyone needs one.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Btw, most SW fish like temp 72-78, not cold. There are a few SW fish that like 60-70, but they can't be mixed in with the warmer water fish or won't do well.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good to know. Thought it had to be really cold. So room temperature is ok. About 70+/-
Thinking nano tank. Not sure yet. Saltwater is a lot of work having to upkeep. We shall see. Still trying after 8 weeks to get my FW to cycle.
I would want coral and ananomae's (sp?)
Maybe seahorses. ? Maybe a puffer ?
IDK yet , gotta consider what they eat. I have freshwater puffers and a 40 gallon tropical
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkiggy
Good to know. Thought it had to be really cold. So room temperature is ok. About 70+/-
Thinking nano tank. Not sure yet. Saltwater is a lot of work having to upkeep. We shall see. Still trying after 8 weeks to get my FW to cycle.
I would want coral and ananomae's (sp?)
Maybe seahorses. ? Maybe a puffer ?
IDK yet , gotta consider what they eat. I have freshwater puffers and a 40 gallon tropical
Seahorses are VERY difficult to keep alive, even for experienced keepers. They eat very specific food and tend to starve to death. They also can ONLY go with other seahorses or with pipefish. I would really discourage you from doing seahorses as your first SW tank. A stable temp is really important, best at around 76-78. If you want corals or anemones, you'll need to upgrade from stock lights, and that gets really expensive, but if you're willing spend the money on lights, go for it!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what I heard. Ok maybe not seahorses...

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com