Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dgso1036

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I'm kinda at a loss. I've had my 20g cycling for two weeks. I just checked my levels and it's saying
Ph-7.8
Am-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-10
All of these are done with the API test. I have 20lbs live rock and 20lbs live sand in my tank. Is it possible to cycle that fast? If so how do I do the last ammonia check?

Ok I'm kinda at a loss. I've had my 20g cycling for two weeks. I just checked my levels and it's saying
Ph-7.8
Am-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-10
All of these are done with the API test. I have 20lbs live rock and 20lbs live sand in my tank. Is it possible to cycle that fast? If so how do I do the last ammonia check?

if everythings live then sure. do a water change, then dose with ammonia and see if it turns fully into trates in 24 hours.

Ok. I have a bottle of ammonia. How much do I put in so I don't over do it

if you used cured live rock sure you could cycle fairly quickly

For adding ammonia it's a simple calc

20g = 80litres or 80,000 ml
1 ppm of that is .08ml
4 ppm is .32ml of pure ammonia.
Of course pure ammonia is impossible to add because it is a gas at room temp and standard pressure. So bottled ammonia is dissolved in water to about 8% (for my Old Country ammonia). So you need 4ml of that to get .32 ml of ammonia. That's just about 3/4 tsp. add half and wait for it to mix and check level. You should need the other half to get to 4ppm. Then wait 24 hrs and check again. If ammonia and nitrite are both 0 yer dun.

Ok sounds good. I think I'm going to wait for my weekend to do it so I have more time. Thanks

No dont put amonia in the tank if you have nitrates

dino

If you used live sand and live rock your tank wont have much of a cycle.
Do a 20% water change to lower your nitrate.

Test it again. Your nitrates should be under 10

And your good to go. Add some fish

dino

If you used live sand and live rock your tank wont have much of a cycle.
Do a 20% water change to lower your nitrate.

Test it again. Your nitrates should be under 10

And your good to go. Add some fish

dino

although he has nitrates it is over a unit of time greater than 24 hours more than likely. in order to ensure the cycle is complete you must re-test to make sure that ammonia turns into nitrate in 24 hours. That is when you know the cycle i complete.

Do not add fish until your sure that your cycle is complete by performing the secondary test we have described.

Well tank appears to be cycled cause my levels are within range after water change. I went ahead and grabbed two green/blue chromis'. I'm going to see how it goes for awhile. Now I need some input for a good clean-up crew? Also how long should I wait before putting them in?

You don't need a cuc if you don't want one. You can get what you want just don't get to much or they will starve

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like blue and red leg hermit crabs they give you more life in the tank

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was thinking about those. I want snails but no idea what kind to get. Also how many of each is a good starting point?

Back
Top Bottom