Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cycling

i set my tank up on 10/11 with live sand ( 40lbs carib-sea )
this was the readings on 10/13
SG 1.24
temp 78
ph 8.0
alk normal ( on the high side of nromal)
ammonia. .25 measured. .0145 when using the calculations on the instr.
nitrite .2
nitrate 2.5

on 10/14 i added 40lbs of LR from LR.com. seems like there was not a lot of die off. lots of lving things

this is the reading from this morning
SG 1.022
temp 80
ph 8.1
alk. normal ( on the high side of normal)
ammonia. .25 measured. .022 when using the calculations on the instr.
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

does this sound "normal" for a new tank about to cycle or that has just started. there has not been a lot of die off that i have seen. two crabs for sure and a very small star fish.

do i need to add a piece of shrimp to give the ammonia a jump? i am being patient. i am just wondering if things are working correctly. i used RO water to set up the tank. i have not changed any water, or added any chemicals. i have just topped of the tank with RO water

thanks as usual for the help
steve

Old 10-17-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you dont have a lot of die off a small shrimp can help get it going. Was the LR cured already? And your just getting a small amount of die off from shipping?
toss the shrimp in a give a some more time. Every cycle is different so it could be just taking a little longer in your tank.....

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

it came from LR.com. they dont specify cured or not. it comes from their "farm" to their warhouse and they say minimal holding time. so i would guess not cured. but the die off seems very minimal. and that die off seems just from shipping. if anything things are starting to pop out much more and get a little bigger. the feather dusters are really growing and more clams and snails appear each day. i will give it another day or two and then throw in the shrimp

thanks
steve r
Old 10-18-2004, 10:02 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
ammonia. .25 measured. .022 when using the calculations on the instr.
what do you mean by "using the calculations on the instr."?

What kind of test kit and how to dhey tell you to calculate the ammonia?

If you have no other life in the tank other than the LR then you could if you want put 1 medium sized shrimp in the tank. By looking at your sig you have a 29 gal tank and more than one shrimp is going to be to much to kickstart your ammonia cycle. Historicly the LR.com rock has little dieoff.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 03:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i would have to check for sure but i think it is the red sea brand test kit. the one that comes with the basic tests.

the instructions gave a calculation that uses water temp and ph to determine another ammonia reading. i think it was some sort of percentage of toxic ammonia. i have to look when i get home and make sure. can i just use the info off of the card with out the extra calculations. i have only the live rock. there are a good number of hitchhikers. but no life i have added so maybe one medium shrimp is order

thanks
steve r

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com