Cycling 40 Gallon FOWLR w/ Dr Tims

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I am currently cycling my tank with Dr Tim's bacteria. I have been cycling it for about a month now and I know that it isn't supposed to take that long. I have 26 pounds of dry rock and 14 of live rock in my tank. Is the objective for the bacteria to be able to handle the ammonia within 24 hours? I have been adding the ammonia made by Dr Tim's and waiting 24 to see if the ammonia has hit zero. The time has been getting shorter by every time but should I keep doing this? Or should I just wait it out? Someone help please

My ph was 7.8
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 40 ppm

I would like to know when the cycle is finished

40 gallon long fowlr cycling currently

I would say yes your cycled. Do a water change and get some life in the tank. But I'm no expert. Sure someone will chim in soon with more knowledge then me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just to be sure, dose the tank up to like 2ppm ammonia and see how long it takes to get to zero. If its about a day then you are ready.

Okay thank you

It takes 24 hours for it to get to zero so I'm done! Should I start getting into scheduled water changes or should I leave it for now? Also what would you guys recommend for some easy to care for invertebrates (is that right?) because I want some crabs and snails and shrimp but I don't know what to get?

You can do a water change to get the nitrates down and then are good to add critters. :)

Just get what you like, there is no sure fire method for stocking other than what you like and would enjoy.

You say it is a fish only tank, consider what fish you are going to stock as some can eat snails and hermits and shrimp. :)

Back
Top Bottom