cycling 55g question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishShack

Aquarium Advice Activist
I read the saltwater document but when I place the shrimp in the tank to cycle do I run the protein skimmer, power filters, heaters and powerheads during the cycle?

Thanks

No skimmer ,
There isn't anything established yet to skim .

Well I hope I didn't screw up cuz I filled the tank with RO and then put sand in and I just remembered that I didn't add salt yet. Does it matter if I add salt now or do I have to start all over?

Well I hope I didn't screw up cuz I filled the tank with RO and then put sand in and I just remembered that I didn't add salt yet. Does it matter if I add salt now or do I have to start all over?

Ideally you should have mixed the salt and water before adding the sand .
Or as you would do a water change mix the salt then add it to the tank.
Because there is nothing for live stock is the only reason the first time salt can be mixed in the tank .
My only suggestion would be pump out most or all of the water , mix the salt to 1.025 than add it to the tank , add your ammonia source .
Anyone else that has a better way could offer their opinion

What will happen if I just add the salt to the tank?

I honestly don't know why I was always told it's not good to add salt directly to the tank.
This is something I never questioned or researched . But I am very interested to know the answer so if you don't mind I'll follow along

You can still add the salt to a tank with sand. :)

The only time you can add salt directly to a tank of water is when you start up. I did the same thing with my tank I set up a few weeks ago. Used pool filter sand and then filled up the tank and then added the salt. As long as you didnt add any live rock you will be fine.

Thank you for the quick responses, knew I shouldn't work on the setup when tired lol, but relieved I don't have to go backwards...at ro vending machine will top off add salt and run powerheads, should I also add my heaters too?

Yep, I would run the heater as well. Will take a bit to get the water up to temp anyways so might as well have it going.

When starting my tank I added sand water then, added salt directly just make sure you know what the mixture of salt to water is. Obviously thats all that I had in my tank was sand water and salt.And turn your air pump on. It needs to airrate. Keep in mind water evaporates and salt does not. Also I suggest testing the salinity regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom