Cycling a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giblin7

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long should a shrimp be in the tank before I remove it. The shrimp is used for cycling.

I don't think any creatures should be used for cycling...all you need is saltwater, live rocks and sand for cycling...but anyways it takes on average about a month to cycle a saltwater tank in order for the bacteria to grow...

Haha I think he's talking about a raw shrimp. Some people leave it in until it's dissolved. It'll keep feeding the bacteria as it decomposes.

Yes the shrimp is raw and bought at the local grocery store.

I have used this method many of times. Make sure you have 2, put them in media bags. 1 will float in the water and the other will be on the sand. Make SURE IT IS ON THE SAND!! Keep them in there till it stinks. You will know cause it will smell bad. Then take them out and wait a day or two till the smell goes away. Test, if they are good you are good to go. Be SURE the shrimp is uncooked!!

How bad does it have to stink before I take it out?

Giblin7 said:
How bad does it have to stink before I take it out?

It will stink pretty bad. Like a fw tank. You will definitely know when it stinks..

SeaMe said:
It will stink pretty bad. Like a fw tank. You will definitely know when it stinks..

It takes about a day or two to start smelling..

Yea it's been in the tank for just over 30 hours and the water smells bad.

Giblin7 said:
Yea it's been in the tank for just over 30 hours and the water smells bad.

Just leave it in there till you go to bed for the night. Then take it out. Test the water tonight, you should have very high spikes in everything. After a day or two (after the shrimp is out of the tank) the smell will go away. Test the water again, if everything is down to normal test levels, you will be good to go. Test the salinity too, very important..
The filter and everything is running now, right?? It should be..

Yes the filter and heater are running and the water look very clear. It just the smell.

Giblin7 said:
Yes the filter and heater are running and the water look very clear. It just the smell.

That's what your looking for.. :)

Took the shrimp out tonight. Just wanted to know how long I should wait to see the right results, zero across the board.

Back
Top Bottom