Cycling a new tank- light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariuszekca

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everybody. I have a question about light for a tank during cycling. I have a bow front 50 gal corner tank. It has a 2 cf lights build in to the hood. I know it's not enough for a sw setup. It's hard to find a good t5 light fixture that gonna fit corner tank.
I was wondering if that stock light is good enough to start cycle so i can have a few weeks to complete my new light fixture???

Also i was going to put a 24" 4 t5ho 96w. I thing its not enough for my tank. It's a corner unit so I have some seize limitations. Light is going to be about 20" from the sand bed. I start research about DIY led kit for my tank and i think it's gonna be the best choice for me.

First question is the easy one. You don't need any lights for your cycle. I am assuming you are doing a fishless cycle correct?

LED is by far the best way to light your tank IMHO assuming you want to go reef. If you are going FOWLR (fish only with live rock) you can use any light you want. Only thing you have to be concerned about is the color of the lamp to prevent algae growth from getting out of control.

Yes. Fish less cycle. I have everything ready but light. So i'm gonna start the cycle next weekend or so.
I'm planing to keep fish and some soft corals. I was going to by the 24" t5 fixture with 2 10000k and 2 actanic HO bulbs. Problem is that fixture gonna cover about 75% of the tank, but not sure about light spread. All 3 corners not gonna be covered. I was thinkikg to add up some small fixtures in those corners, now start to projecting my complete led fixture. Thanx

I am not an expert in lights. Hope someone with more knowledge in lighting chimes in. Good luck. I look forward to seeing it come together.

Back
Top Bottom