Cycling a QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morticus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do you have to cycle your qt tank? I have my 10g qt set up now with water from the display from before I started cycling it.

as long as you are using water from a CYCLED tank, you will not have to do any cycling on the QT. right now you have a saltwater storage tank, not a QT... :p you should use that water for a water change when your cycle is done. (as long as it is simply aged saltwater) i would only fill the QT when you are going to use it for a new fish... etc.

one very good option for your QT is to store the actual foam / mesh filter media from you QT filter in your main tank. that way, the bacteria will colonize your filter media, and you can simply place it in the QT filter when you need to start QTing a fish. when you are done, clean the filter media very well and place it in the main tank again. you can also toss out the used media and put a new one in the main tank to seed with bacteria. never take the media directly from the QT into the main tank... you run the risk of introducing things into the main tank that you dont want in there (i.e. paracites, diseases, copper, etc.)

~mike

Water unto itself cycles nothing. Only hard surface materials as mentioned in the second paragraph will have any effect. If setting up a QT in an emergrency, a fill from the main tanks water will allow for a fast transfer of fish without acclamation. It really does nothing else.

If you can, cycle the QT before you start getting fish. Your success will be infinately higher than if you simpley added a seeded filter to the QT.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom