Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2005, 02:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll check it again tomorrow and then take a sample to the lfs..

Old 05-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

should I add lr and then wait another week or so to add inverts and maybe a fish?

Old 05-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrikat
How can you cycle without nitrates? Steve-s is that possible?
Nope...

Quote:
I thought the nitrite had to turn into nitrate to complete the cycle.
The cycle is complete once NH3 and NO are no longer detectable. The nitrogen cycle itself is incomplete until the tank can naturally reduce it without water changes being required as a means of control. This can only be attained once aerobic/anoxic bacterias are in sufficient numbers. It usually takes 6-12 months depending on the set up.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

so what is happening with my setup?? Everything zero.. I even had the lfs check it..I ordered more liverock it should be here in the morning.. hope everything is ok..I mean.. it should be reading something if it were not ready right? I mean, if no nitrate then ammonia or trite?? Could the amount of pods have anything to do with it?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

and I did have nitrates last week.. it spiked way high.. then took a week to come down.. is it possible that I do have something goin on that is working in my tanks favor?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

and, would my pods and bristleworm still be moving around seemingly unaffected, by any deteriorating water quality that I may be having?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:26 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

that's what I've read also.. I don't know, it spiked now nothin'.. My water is cloudy with pods and other types of larval stage organism.. all over the glass, rock, pumps, sump, etc.. I don't guess they'd be able to survive if the water quality was to shabby.. right?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh.. sorry for all the posts, but I just let my shrimp sit on the bottom of the tank for cycling.. is this ok? should I move the shrimp? My LR is coming tomorrow so I don't want too much of an ammo spike..
Old 05-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok.. just retested.. and it kinda looks like I could've been wrong with mytrates. the color is hard to read, but I believe it could read: when I look at it from the side it looks like 5.0 when I look at it's bottom( the vial that is) looks to be 10.. does this sound like it's more what it's supposed to be? still checking other parameters..
Old 05-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #20
steve-s

I would expected ammonia to subside after the first 2 weeks at most, nitrite can generally take a few weeks more. The only one that should not read zero as quickly is nitrate. There hasn't been enough time for the required bacteria to establish itself. Sounds like by your last post there is some NO3 showing albeit slight.

I think you'll be fine to add the rock when it arrives tomorrow. Keep testing and be sure to have some change water on hand just in case.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com