cycling almost over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanicsublimat

Aquarium Advice Freak
All my readings are reading zero.. ph at 8.2 should I go ahead and get my last 40lbs of LR.. and maybe some fish and inverts in a couple weeks? My cycling has been goin on for almost 3 weeks now.. decaying shrimp still there..

All readings are zero, no nitrates? Did you do any water changes?

Cheers
Steve

And make sure the lr is fully cured or it will start another ammonia spike.

Oh.. and MILLIONS of pods.. a bristle worm, a chiton.. some hydroids.. all were not seen until just a couple of days ago..seems like my lr was hiding alot from me..:)

How can you cycle without nitrates? Steve-s is that possible? I thought the nitrite had to turn into nitrate to complete the cycle.

that's why I'm confused.. all my readings are zero.. now.. ammonia could be between o and o.25.. but I think it looked more like zero..the color card has much ambiguity surrounding it..:)

Nitrate could be converted to nitrogen gas by other bacteria in the lr and ls, but I would still expect to see at least a little NO3, I also thought it took a while for the nitrate eating bacteria to set up shop.

electrikat said:
How can you cycle without nitrates? Steve-s is that possible?
Nope...

I thought the nitrite had to turn into nitrate to complete the cycle.
The cycle is complete once NH3 and NO are no longer detectable. The nitrogen cycle itself is incomplete until the tank can naturally reduce it without water changes being required as a means of control. This can only be attained once aerobic/anoxic bacterias are in sufficient numbers. It usually takes 6-12 months depending on the set up.

Cheers
Steve

so what is happening with my setup?? Everything zero.. I even had the lfs check it..I ordered more liverock it should be here in the morning.. hope everything is ok..I mean.. it should be reading something if it were not ready right? I mean, if no nitrate then ammonia or trite?? Could the amount of pods have anything to do with it?

and I did have nitrates last week.. it spiked way high.. then took a week to come down.. is it possible that I do have something goin on that is working in my tanks favor?

and, would my pods and bristleworm still be moving around seemingly unaffected, by any deteriorating water quality that I may be having?

that's what I've read also.. I don't know, it spiked now nothin'.. My water is cloudy with pods and other types of larval stage organism.. all over the glass, rock, pumps, sump, etc.. I don't guess they'd be able to survive if the water quality was to shabby.. right?

Oh.. sorry for all the posts, but I just let my shrimp sit on the bottom of the tank for cycling.. is this ok? should I move the shrimp? My LR is coming tomorrow so I don't want too much of an ammo spike..

Ok.. just retested.. and it kinda looks like I could've been wrong with mytrates. the color is hard to read, but I believe it could read: when I look at it from the side it looks like 5.0 when I look at it's bottom( the vial that is) looks to be 10.. does this sound like it's more what it's supposed to be? still checking other parameters..

I would expected ammonia to subside after the first 2 weeks at most, nitrite can generally take a few weeks more. The only one that should not read zero as quickly is nitrate. There hasn't been enough time for the required bacteria to establish itself. Sounds like by your last post there is some NO3 showing albeit slight.

I think you'll be fine to add the rock when it arrives tomorrow. Keep testing and be sure to have some change water on hand just in case.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom