Cycling ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scenicad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added my live rock from liverock.com yesterday and want to begin my cycle. Today I tested the levels and my ammonia is at 1.2 and nitrite is .3.

My Question-
How high should the ammonia levels get for a good cycle, and if it's already at 1.2 after one day, should I still add a shrimp?

Oh, and I have a 72 gal FOWLR with 100 lbs base rock and 50 lbs live rock.

Thanks.

How high should the ammonia levels get for a good cycle, and if it's already at 1.2 after one day, should I still add a shrimp?
I would let it ride for now, that rock will cycle the tank fine. Not necessary to reach a high level of ammonia to get a good cycle.
Your doing fine. :wink:

I am in the same state... my seachem tests for total and free ammonia - which should I be gauging off of?

Like QS said just let it ride. The proper bacteria will build with both high and low concentrations of ammonia in the tank. Just remember to add the bioload slowly so the bio filter can catch up with the additions. Congrats you are on your way.

oops... maybe I didn't explain myself well enough :) I was asking if I should be looking at Total Ammonia or Free Ammonia. My Seachem tests have both and I don't know which to go off of.

In other words:

Free Ammonia 0.0
Total Ammonia 2.0
Alk 8.0
PH 8.0
Nitrates 1.0
Nitrites 0.1

Which of the ammonias are my concern?

Only concern yourself with free ammonia (NH3). The total ammonia (NH4+) is not toxic at higher pH values and is of no concern.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom