Cycling and Fish Purchase Question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cconemanband

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I decided to use the "raw shrimp" approach to cycling my 29 gal tank and am into the 4th week, taking tank condition readings weekly.(expensive little strips..works out to about 1.00 a strip--cheaper way?)

My nitrite levels have gone from 5 down to 0. But the nitrate level has been at 20 and was still the same at last reading. I have seen some of the yellow/brown type algae but has now gone.

Do you think I am ready to add fish or do I need to wait the full 6 weeks and does the nitrate level have to come down as well.

Then....question about fish.

I have decided to have 1 yellow tail damsel and 1 clown. Figure that is a good choice for a beginner with small tank. I would really like to have a tang but can't see the little friend getting on very well at 10 inchces or better in 29 gal. Question is, which one should I get first, the clown or the damsel or can they be entered into the tank together at the same time? Also, does anyone know of any miniature tangs? Saw a miniature lion the other day but don't know how well the clown and damsel would get along with a lion.

Thanks.

Steve

As far as the cycle goes, it sounds like your at the end. You will not really know unless you testfor ammonia. That is the big killer, as well as nitrites. If your ammonia checks out at 0 then I would say your ready for a new addition. :wink:

As far as the test strips. Many people say that they are somewhat unreliable. You need to buy some liquid test, which are much cheaper in the long run. I bought a all in one test kit 8 months ago for around $24 and it is not gone yet.

As far as the fish goes......NO TANG!!!! :wink: The tank is WAY to small for a tang. You could start out with a clown or a damsel. Damsels are very mean, so you may not want it later on down the road. Also I would add only one fish, just to make sure. Also to give the tank time to mature even more.

What kind of filtration do you have?

Also you need to SERIOUSLY consider getting a qt tank. Here is a link.
http://aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=17

I agree that you should not do any tang in a 29g. Also on the test kit. Think about royal grammas of orchid dottybacks for more color. Small fish too. Then again some folks love damsels and since you won't have many fish anyway, the damsel might do fine.

At least your tank is small enuf that you could remove the bit of rock and catch the damsel if needed later.

Hoefully your ammonia spiked and came down at some point. Been testing for that during the 4 weeks?

I'm a 2 month noob into my fowlr 29gal, but i started with a blue green chromis. Getting a clown next. Unless you have a lot of hiding spaces the damsel/dottybacks might be to agressive. Fish i might stock are firefish, royal gamma, neon gobby.

The orchid dotttyback is about the least aggressive in that family. I've got firefish and neon goby. Indeed great choices too.

Back
Top Bottom