Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cycling.....and I dont mean on 2 wheels

Wish the Petco "fish expert " wouldve told me about cycling the tank. He told me "Oh yea....saltwater tank, piece of cake" .....thank God for this website!! Had to take my shrimp brew outside ,it was seriously stinking up my mancave!! Ill tough it out,I dont think I can go back to freshwater tanks,Im hooked on salt !! I reckon....

Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You've gotta be careful of any advice from LFSs. Places like PetSmart and Petco often hire people that have never owned a tank. The give them "training" on the department they are in and if someone passes, they are now an "expert". Even those that have tanks aren't always the best for advice. Your independent LFS is probably a safer bet. At least those places typically hire a staff that has had some experience. In the end, they are there to sell product and make a profit. Some probably hand out bad advice due to ignorance and others to make a buck.

Advice here tends to be solid. I basically take what I hear here as "fact" and advice from my LFS with a grain of salt nowadays.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Partial Water Replacement

When youre doing a partial water replacement do you have to take the fish out of the tank? Or can you just pour it in? And do you have to add just plain water that has been dechlorinated? I read that If you replace the water that has been removed with treated dechlorinated salt water that your salt level will climb high.....
Old 01-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
When youre doing a partial water replacement do you have to take the fish out of the tank? Or can you just pour it in? And do you have to add just plain water that has been dechlorinated? I read that If you replace the water that has been removed with treated dechlorinated salt water that your salt level will climb high.....
The fish stay in the tank for PWCs. RO, RODI, or distilled water is best for SW tanks. Not tap. So you don't need to dechlorinate the water if you use one of those. You use fresh RO water for top-offs from evaporation. For PWCs, you need to mix some salt in the water that you add. You will be removing salt along with the water when you siphon out water, so you must replace it. If you always only add fresh water, your salinity will plummet and fish will die. Just give the salt time to dissolve before you add it to the tank, you can't add undissolved salt to the tank water. There should be directions on the side of the salt container.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't follow those directions though. You need to test your water before it is added to the tank. You want your tank around 1.023-1.026. Get a refractometer... Much more accurate than hydrometers and not very expensive.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the tips :P
Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any time! Always feel free to ask questions!

Tags
cycling, eel, eels

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com