Cycling and pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish noob

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in my 3rd week of cycling. I have been dosing to 4ppm ammonia daily. My nitrites have been >5 for a week and a half. Today they are 0 an ammonia is 0. I doses ammonia this morning to 4ppm to ensure I can get ammonia/nitrites to 0 in 24 hours. My nitrates are currently at 20.

The problem is my pH is a little low. It's between 7.8 and 8. How can this be corrected? I have not done any water changed since the cycle began. Will a large water change correct the pH?

It sounds like you are cycled. :)

Once you do the water change that you should do after you finish cycling I bet the ph will go up a bit. Do you have circulation on the top of the water, like from a powerhead or return pump? water surface Agitation can help raise ph levels.

But sometimes a lower ph is fine too. i wouldn't go crazy trying to fix it. If it's stable and close to 8.0 I think you're ok. For example, my pH on my 125g reef is CONSTANTLY 7.7 in the AM and close to 8.0 by lights out but it never falters and is always the same so I leave it be.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am utilizing the return pump to circulate the surface water.

How much of the water should I replace during the change?

I would do a large water change, like 30-40% of possible. that will knock those trates down to like 10 or so. Then you are ready to add critters. :)

If you dont' have a powerhead you might really think of picking one or two up, depending on the size of your tank.

Thanks.

I have a 60 g cube. I'm using a eco-tech mp40

Oh then you should be set for flow. Very nice. :)

I'm picking up my 60g rimless cube at the end of the month! Can't wait! It's such a neat tank to work with i think. or I hope anyways. lol

Ya, it my first tank and it's been really fun so far and I don't even have any fish in it yet. Here's some pics..

I put in between some columns that separate two rooms jn my basement. it's viewable from both rooms. I then cut some black plexiglass to fill in the gaps and give it a picture frame look.

Attachments

• image-2479383148.jpg
    image-2479383148.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image-312017830.jpg
    image-312017830.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 81
Very nice. :) I like the rockwork, like the overhang swim through section. Very cool that you can see it from two rooms too! Bonus!

Checked my parameters this morning again after dosing ammonia to 4ppm yesterday. Ammonia and trites were zero. Nitrates were approx 20. pH was 8.2

I'll do a large water change today and add a small CUC.

Back
Top Bottom