Cycling Before Adding Live Rock..Any Advantage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will be setting up a 40 Breeder FOWLR tank soon. I was thinking about the cycle process.

Most people cycle their tank AFTER putting in the live rock, or have the death from the live rock do the cycle.

I was wondering if it could be benefical to add substrate (in my case SeaFlor and Agaramax) and cycle for 4 to 6 weeks with a dead grocery store shrimp, then add the live rock.

I am sure I will have another smaller cycle after I add the live rock..but I would guess less severe.

I am thinking that with a less intense cycle..more life may stay intact when I add the live rock.

Also...gives me the added benefit of waiting 4 to 6 weeks before buying the 50lbs of live rock...like spacing out the payments.

Thoughts???

As long as there are no fish when you put the LR in your fine! Yeah LR is a lil'' over prised IMO. I want to convert my FO to a FOWLR but my God I need like 200lbs. I will have to sell some organs or somehting :lol: :lol:

The advantage is that more of the hitch hikers will survive. I used 50% base rock ($1/lb instead of $5-6/lb) and started the cycle with a shrimp. then added the rest in lr after the cycle was almost done. After 6 months you can barely tell the difference.

i'v heard of the grocery store shrimp thing working well for some people! Makes sense to save as much of the live rock as possible, and not letting it die in a nasty cycle period......who knows?

Thanks for the encouragement!

With Darb's sugestion....I think I will also start the cycle with some base rock. It will give the bacteria more place to grown on...and it is SO much cheaper than live rock. I will add my 40lbs of Live Rock after the cycle....which over time will add life to the base rock.

Hirocks.com has 30lbs for $30 shipped. Can't beat that! Not a bad way to start the tank going, eh?

WC

Yes as said above I would cycle with the shrimp and your base rock, then after add the LR. This way many more beneficial things stay living on the LR due to a much smaller ammonia spike, if any, due to LR die off. I have also read to leave a few days after the LR is added as well as there may be a mini cycle sort of. Then add your cleaning crew then fish. Everywhere I read patience is KEY.

Back
Top Bottom