cycling,brown algae & water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hermit crab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just set up a 12 gal nano cube about ten days ago and i did my first water change today ( 2 gallons) i already have brown algae spots
all around and even on the live sand.

i have 4 pounds of live rock.I will do a 2 gallon water change every week
would that be enough.
and is brown algae (diotoms) good for my tank ?does that mean that it is
ready.

diotoms is what you have.. should go away on its own. are you using RO water or tap?

diatoms are not an indication of where your tank is at in the cycle. The only way to be sure that it is ready is to test the water for ammonia and nitrite. Ammonia should peak first, then nitrite. When both return to zero then your cycle is complete. Be careful adding livestock too quickly after the cycle as you might put too large a load on the bacteria that are present and cause a spike.

The brown algea should go away on its own, it might take a couple of weeks or a couple of months, but it will go away.

go buy a good silicate/phosphate sponge (thier cheep) put it in your filter or somewhere water passes through it and it will suck up the silicate that the diotoms feed on wich will cut down on the brown algae u see as well as other types of algae ro water would be ideal but not always possible

but what the hell do i know

Back
Top Bottom