Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

10 ppm is better than 20ppm no doubt. so a water change should knock them down a bit. You're in no rush, remember the patience thing with saltwater? Well here's a good example of it in practice. If youre not comfortable with where your tank is now then by all means wait it out until you are 100% sure.
In the meantime you can still add some hermits or snails if you wanted and wait on the fish.All up to you and your comfort level.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, I think I'm worried that if I don't add fish right now, it'll scew up my cycle. You say that it's ok if I wait a week? I could like, make another big water change next week, and wait until I'm 100% sure it's ok before adding my fish. Maybe I'll go get a few snails and crabs instead. I think that even if I put the shrimps in nylon socks, they made a mess in the tank more than I thought. if you say 20 ppm would not hurt astreas and red legged and hermits I think that's what I'll add tonight, otherwise, if it's too high and waiting a week will not hurt my cycling progress I'll wait!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would be really happy if I could add something tonight

But like you said, no hurry, patience

I'll take like 5 astreas (or trochus if they got em!) and 3 hermits tonight, and see how it goes.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi! I added 4 trochus snail (I think they're not Astrea! I saw one flip over!) And 2 red legged hermits friday night. They're doing fine for now! I made more tests and it's something between 10 and 20 ppm. I think I'll continue making bigger PWC (25%) for a while, until I reach 5 ppm, then I'll make 10% PWC. Today, I replace my carbon, 25% PWC. I'll make another PWC on Thursday and add Nemos on friday.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi!
My Nitrates readings are still between 10 and 20 ppm, after my PWC, but the color is lighter (I use the API test). I'll make another one thursday, and since my snails and hermits are still alive, and moving a lot, I guess the fish will be allright! I'll come up with pics this weekend!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
your tank is about to be exciting! as if it weren't with all the life in a fishless cycle, its amzing how much can actually be in there.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes! I took a close look and saw lots more of things than I thought. I have lots of copepods (little bugs) I don't actually know if I have a lot but everytime I look at my rock, I see two or three pop up of my rock. I saw a little white worm too. Now I get why it's called Live Rock. Also, I think I might have a sponge, or maybe it's just coraline. I have a bright purple/pink spot on one of my rock, and it has relief. I'll try to take a picture of it, but I doubt it's possible with t8 lighting for sponges to grow. I only have 4 snails and 2 hermits and I spent a hour yesterday watching them. And my wife was angry, because I wasn't fast on doing the dishes...hahaha....so I cannot imagine the time I will pass watching it once I have my whole CUC and, of course, fish!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Yeah, my wife apparently wasnt prepared for the time involved, but i spent a lot of time with fw and told her it woulf double for marine esp in the beginning... shes coming around as i point more stuff out
Old 10-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

I finally put a false percula in there! It was the only junior specimen left in a 20 miles radius! Here it is!

BTW put your speaker volume down. The video was shot during my birthday party last weekend

My first Fish! - YouTube

I found a more expensive ''Teardrop'' False percula. It's attractive, and it would make something out of ordinary in my tank. Are there issues with those??
Old 10-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if you want to add another clown just try to get one smaller or larger than the one you have.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com