Cycling/curing a new tank with Live Rock, Base Rock, Live Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaRick

Aquarium Advice Addict
A little background info:
Almost about to start setting up my tank. My LFS had a great deal on aragonite live sand, so i bought 160 lbs for my 125G reef i want to get going. I purchased 100 lbs of pukani rock from the BRS group buy earlier this week.

I'm planning on doing a fishless cycle using the methods here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

I'm also planning on buying 20lbs or so of live rock from my LFS.

Question:
Can you cure base rock while you're cycling? Is there anything i need to watch out for that i normally wouldn't?

Thanks!

The base rock will become live rock as you cycle your tank. Within a few weeks it will be "live" and holding beneficial bacteria. Within a month or two the base rock will end up looking just like the live rock and you will barely be able to tell the difference.

Get that live rock in there as soon as you can, that can help jumpstart a cycle as well. In fact, get all the rock youre gonna want in there to save time. Youre cycling so might as well get all the rock "live" at once. :)

Thanks Carey. Figured that's what i needed to do. Had a brain fart and thought that I had to cure it first, then cycle.

Back
Top Bottom