Cycling ETC...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrongBad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have read all that I could find about fishless cycling and I think I have a good idea how it is done. I do have a couple questions though.
-Any idea where I can get some ammonia to get the spike started per Dr. Chris Cow's article?
-Are there any fish store gravels that are bad for a first tank. I didnt want to go all out on expensive sand etc.. until I have proved myself on a starter tank.
-Are there any fish or plants that dont mind the cycle.

Thanks in advance for the help. By the way, this site is fantastically helpful.

A raw shrimp from you grocery stores fish counter works very well as an ammonia source.
Sand doesn't have to be expensive. Look at your local Home Depot or Lowes stores. Even walmart for tropical playsand. It's used in childrens sand boxes. Check the label to be sure it says agronite sand. You can get this for a few bucks for a 20lb bag.
No need to add fish or plants to a cycling tank and it would be discouraged to do so. It's a very stressful and unhealthy enviroment for them.

just throwing my opinion out there but i would strongly recommend that you start with a sand bed over crushed coral...seems to be easier to take care of and looks so much better. also i did the raw shrimp cycle and just make sure you dont put to much in or your house will reck like a pile of dead shrimp.

Damsels are about the most hardy fish for cycling. However, they even have a pretty high death rate due to the cycle. You will find yourself doing water changes to keep NH3/NO2 levels at "less then lethal" levels and this will prolong your cycle. The fastest, easiest, and most humane way to cycle is with LR and/or a cocktail shrimp. This will also save you the trouble of having to try to catch the remaining damsels (if any) and returning them to the LFS after the cycle is complete. I would also urge you to use LS substrate as opposed to CC. Just easier. Good luck with the cycle!!
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

Thanks for the advice, I decided to get a 30 lb bag of Carib Sea Argonite sand and will seed that with some live sand I am picking up in a couple days. I am going the fishless shrimp in the tank method and also using Dr Chris Cow's method of adding some pure ammonia everyday to force a spike. In the mean time, I do have another couple questions. I want a Reef with Fish. A couple coral, a couple anemone's and a few fish( 3 or so). Right now I have a 30gal tank with a power head, a power filter, a heater and tap water. I want to add a protein skimmer (prizm?) an RO/DI unit, and lighting. The questions line up like this:

1 - Is using tap water going to ruin my chances for a successful tank even if I use RO/DI water at a later date in water changes?

2 - Is there a difference in LS grain sizes. I just bought a fine white argonite sand today (30 lbs) which I would like to seed with some LS which is a little more coarse.

3 - Does a Reef with fish setup NEED live rock in it?

4 - Anything else you can think of for a Reef with Fish setup.

Thanks for your help!

Is using tap water going to ruin my chances for a successful tank even if I use RO/DI water at a later date in water changes?
No. Using tap water will increase your chance of getting unwanted algae. Tap to start and RO/DI for top-offs and water changes should be fine.
Does a Reef with fish setup NEED live rock in it?
I would say yes. The use of LR in a reef is only going to help keep water parameters high. This is very important for corals. LR also creates the structure for you to set our corals on. It makes for a healthy tank.
Is there a difference in LS grain sizes. I just bought a fine white argonite sand today (30 lbs) which I would like to seed with some LS which is a little more coarse
There is really no difference in performance.
Anything else you can think of for a Reef with Fish setup.
What type of lighting do you have?

seacat said:
just make sure you dont put to much in or your house will reck like a pile of dead shrimp.

The wife is complaining about the smell coming from the tank on day 5 of the cycle.

:cry:

It truely does stink, but we have been burning smelling candles to help counter-act the stench.

i just told the roomies to STFU and stop complaining......i doubt they will do much bellyaching when there are all these nice fish swimming around in the tank :lol:

stradt03 said:
i just told the roomies to STFU and stop complaining......i doubt they will do much bellyaching when there are all these nice fish swimming around in the tank :lol:

Can you tell he isn't married :wink:

The smell will go away with time... Maybe you could air out the room in the early morning?

I have a question abouat my current cycle.

I just did a quick test on the water, and my amonia is over .8 now i didnt want to do a water change during cycle as i have heard it slows the process down.

Is the level of amonia normal? Or should I infact do a pwc to take some of the amonia out?

I am curing with LR.com rocks and a dead shrimp. I have also dumped in some cc in panty hose from an established tank.

TIA

Back
Top Bottom