Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2005, 04:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to magnaflow
ok thanks. I will still let it cycle for the month. 3 weeks to go lol.
I am planing on adding clown fish and a shrimp. Which should I add first. Stick in the shrimp to clean it up then fish or all at once?

Old 09-25-2005, 04:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
I would just add them at the same time. Your supposed to add inhabitants slowly at first but adding 1 fish and a shrimp isnt going to effect your ammonia or anything by much.

Old 09-25-2005, 04:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Whenever you set up a tank even with live rock your going to have a cycle, it might not initially be as bad as a full blown cycle then you have no live rock.Live rock only helps break down the ammonia and evrything a lot faster since it already has an established colony of bacteria rather than having a few bacteria and waiting them to multiply and reduce your ammonia as with tanks with no live rock. Even if you have lr and ls i would still wait a while before adding livestock. adding too much at a time will disrupt your cycle a bit by adding more ammonia than it can handle.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok came hom today check on my cycling tank and I notice some of the crushed coral turning a light brown. And then I notice some of the side of the tank turn this color. Is this normal? I was thinking its the bateria but what do you think?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

More than likely just a brown diatom algae. Normal for a cycling tank and will go away. Doesn't hurt to try and clean it up though.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

regular alge scrub brush?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have test kits??? have you ever tested the water ?Test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and post results.
just because you see critters on the LR does not mean its cured LR. Where did you get it from...
Do not try and scrub your CC it will only make a mess, cleaning the glass is fine. Once you get the tank running you will need to gravel vac the CC when you do water changes to clean out the trapped waste.
I am not sure you had a cycle... Are you 100% sure it was cured LR? What and where did you buy it.. I would hate to see you wait a month to add a fish and then get a cycle becasue there was not enough die off on the LR to cause a cycle.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to PBirdsong
So what can you add to a SW tank that will eat Diatoms? In the FW world we would add Otocinclus Catfish.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

ya its live rock I got from a store called aqua creations in town (halifax) They cure it right.They even had soem mushrom coral on one of them. I havent really done any testing on it yet. I figure its been only going for almost 2 weeks whats the point yet. I supose I should soon. I know I dont scrub the coral just vaccum it. Should I chance it to sand later on? if thats even possible now. One of my buddies I know through work is suposed to bring me some books but I havent seen them yet, Hopefully tommorow.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just clean some off but it will go away as long as your phosphates and that stay low. ITs basicly a algae cycle and will be replaced by a different type of algae or will just plain out disappear.

For diatoms hermits do help cleaning it up a bit but a really good one would be an abalone snal from liveaquaria.net,expensive but supposedly its really good.

but if it was me i would just fan some of it away and leave it alone for a while.

Tags
cycling, dead, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Live Rock | Sand »