cycling for a week add a dead shirmp with the live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnaflow

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey guys been cycling the tank for a week now with live rock shoudl i add the dead shrimp or just leave it the way is for the next few weeks?

have you tested for ammonia? If you have die off from the lr it should start the cycle if you have enough LR in the tank. Toss in the dead shrimp to get things going good if you have no ammonia.
Was the LR cured? And how much. what size tank..

live rock was cured has living things on it. I shine a flashlight in at nighttime with the lights in the tank out tons of them come out. Worm looking things snail and slug like things. Lots of those green starfish looking things. I also have micro alge in there too. I do not have a shrimp in there now. I was mostly wondering if I should stick one in.. and theres about 16 pounds of live rock in there now. There big ones with lots of holes so they take up room. I know I need to get more soon but need to wait for payday. Its a 27gallon tank. Also when Should I set up the filter. Like with carbon for the water. I know the LR is the filtration.

I started my 45G with 45lbs. of cured LR and 35lbs. of LS and never had a cycle. On day 2 I moved my O. clown into the tank and checked the levels twice a day for 2 weeks. If levels had risen, I would have just moved him back into his nano. Never had any amonia or nitrites register on the tests. When nitrates finally started to become detectable during week 3, I started stocking more fish. I did weekly 10% pwc's from the beginning just to be safe.

I would say no shrimp, I have had my tank for a little over a week and i bought cured live rock and live sand, I have not seen a cycle, nor do I think it will cycle at all. I added a CBS and 5 green chromis to see how i do, its been 3 days and all is well. You are probably in the same boat that I'm in. :D good luck!

ok thanks. I will still let it cycle for the month. 3 weeks to go lol.
I am planing on adding clown fish and a shrimp. Which should I add first. Stick in the shrimp to clean it up then fish or all at once?

I would just add them at the same time. Your supposed to add inhabitants slowly at first but adding 1 fish and a shrimp isnt going to effect your ammonia or anything by much.

Whenever you set up a tank even with live rock your going to have a cycle, it might not initially be as bad as a full blown cycle then you have no live rock.Live rock only helps break down the ammonia and evrything a lot faster since it already has an established colony of bacteria rather than having a few bacteria and waiting them to multiply and reduce your ammonia as with tanks with no live rock. Even if you have lr and ls i would still wait a while before adding livestock. adding too much at a time will disrupt your cycle a bit by adding more ammonia than it can handle.

ok came hom today check on my cycling tank and I notice some of the crushed coral turning a light brown. And then I notice some of the side of the tank turn this color. Is this normal? I was thinking its the bateria but what do you think?

More than likely just a brown diatom algae. Normal for a cycling tank and will go away. Doesn't hurt to try and clean it up though.

Do you have test kits??? have you ever tested the water ?Test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and post results.
just because you see critters on the LR does not mean its cured LR. Where did you get it from...
Do not try and scrub your CC it will only make a mess, cleaning the glass is fine. Once you get the tank running you will need to gravel vac the CC when you do water changes to clean out the trapped waste.
I am not sure you had a cycle... Are you 100% sure it was cured LR? What and where did you buy it.. I would hate to see you wait a month to add a fish and then get a cycle becasue there was not enough die off on the LR to cause a cycle.

ya its live rock I got from a store called aqua creations in town (halifax) They cure it right.They even had soem mushrom coral on one of them. I havent really done any testing on it yet. I figure its been only going for almost 2 weeks whats the point yet. I supose I should soon. I know I dont scrub the coral just vaccum it. Should I chance it to sand later on? if thats even possible now. One of my buddies I know through work is suposed to bring me some books but I havent seen them yet, Hopefully tommorow.

Just clean some off but it will go away as long as your phosphates and that stay low. ITs basicly a algae cycle and will be replaced by a different type of algae or will just plain out disappear.

For diatoms hermits do help cleaning it up a bit but a really good one would be an abalone snal from liveaquaria.net,expensive but supposedly its really good.

but if it was me i would just fan some of it away and leave it alone for a while.

Back
Top Bottom