cycling help ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LIMentality420

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 55 gal fowlr is cycling with a shrimp, 120 lbs (not live sand), 15 lbs. lr, and 15 lbs. of base rock. I have running 2 powerheads, and 1 bio wheel 400. I have not turnd my protein skimmer on yet. My question is with the tests i'm taking.
Day:2
time:11:20 pm
temp: 79
salinety: 1.021
ph: 8.6
ammonia:1.0
nitrite: 0.5
Cycling ok ?

The cycle is started. Cycling can keep your numbers a little crazy but keep an eye on the pH. The 8.6 is a little high for my preference.

i would raise salt to 1024...ank keep an eye on that ammonia..
other than that ...just leave it )
ps..i dont like the bio wheel :? (better with a DSB)
a good external filter for a tank that size is a must )

with a DSB..u dont need a biowheel ..
but will do it no harm.....if you decide to go with any corals later...take it out )
IMO, using the wheels with a DSB is counterproductive in that it deprives the DSB (and its development) of ammonia and nitrites and produces nitrates removed from the lower, nitrate reduction layers of the DSB, where they can become more problematic before being reduced to N2.
good luck
:wink:

after the lights being off all night the oxygen in the water is lowered which in turn reduces the pH. As the day progresses the oxygen is replenished allowing the pH to rise back up throughout the day.

What time during the day. If it is morning hours the pH is starting to build up but still be low. The night reading is after a full day of oxygen replenishment so the numbers have not dropped yet.

ok this is the last test I took.

Day 4 April 10th Time: 11:40am
Salinity: 1.022 Temp: 79
Ph: 8.2 Ammonia: 1.0 Nitrites: 0.5

Cycling ok ?

Back
Top Bottom