Cycling in a used tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssapp94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI everyone, I am new to the hobby and feeling very overwhelmed for the last month with all the reading and different ways to handle cycling and such.

I bought a used 130 gallon glass tank, with a monster of a protien skimmer (I do not know the make) a pump. 2 sumps (1 with the skimmer) and one with some live chaeto and rocks (all came in there and was covered in the previous owners aquarium water). 2 overflows 4 power heads and a massive light system. The rock was kept in a covered tupperware container wet and sand was damp but not soaked. On one rock there is a small amount of algea and on another is a peanut worm hanging out there.

The tank went up Sunday 02/03/2013. It is clear and settled and my worm guy seems to be just hanging out like youtube says he should, lol.

I have read a lot on starting a cycle with ammonia; (the raw shrimp thing I have read is not good because there is no way to control the params, the live fish thing is just scary) So first if the rock was not dry, do I need to jump start a cycle? How can I tell if there was any life left in the rocks other than this worm? My Salinity is on point right now, although it is early I know, my nitrate and nitrites are ok, temp is 79 (I think) and I am showing no ammonia.

Can someone tell me how this works since I am using a previous reef setup? I do not know exactly how long he had it down but I would assume a little over a week?

Thanks

From the sounds of it you may have a 'mini-cycle' just from everything having been disturbed. There may be some die off of organic organisms which could cause some ammonia. Keep measuring daily for a week or so and see if anything comes up. You could dose ammonia like with fishless cycling just to see how quickly the levels return to zero.
Sounds like you got quite a system! Is the rock clear of any nuisance algae like green hair? If there is any you may want to scrub it off now before you get everything settled in.

- D

Thank you for your post. It seems like it will be a great system. I am still learning the different type of algae. I think one is not a good one to have it is small sheet like gunk that peels off pretty easy. that rock is getting scrubbed tonight.

So do you think if for a week the params stay good, I should slowly add a small CUC or hardy fish? I don't want to rush it, but I don't want 130 gallons of water sitting there ready either.

Daily tests are good! I added 2 damsel fish, 2 hermits, a turbo snail and a small trumpet coral drag. All are happy and doing good. I am now officially addicted and can't wait to get more coral

All zeroes on NitrAtes, NitrItes and Ammonia? Like many, you may regret those damsels when you want to add other fish. They're mean buggers and hard to catch.
Clowns are also very hardy and by the sounds of it your tank doesn't really need a full cycle anyway. But don't worry, LFS put me on the same track when I first started. Ended up rearranging all the rocks before we could catch the little devils!

- D

Back
Top Bottom