Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2005, 09:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cycling levels high, do i need to change water?

I have a quick question in regards to the levels in my tank.

I am currently on day 6 since I setup my 25 gallon salt water tank.

I checked the levels last night and the PH was 8.9 and ammonia was 1.3, a friend said this is way to high and to do a 20% water change but i've read that doing a water change only slows down the cycling process.

any opinions/advice would be appreciated!

Old 07-23-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
How are you cycling? With damsels? Typically a pwc does slow down the cycle, and if you are doing it without fish you don't need to worry. If there are fish you might want to use some prime to help neutralize some of that ammonia (it isn't supposed to hurt the cycling of the tank).

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:59 AM   #3

yes, with damsels. What is prime?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
I would consider taking the fish back to the LFS and continuing your cycle using a cocktail shrimp from the grocery store. This will help cycle your tank more quickly. If you decide to keep the fish, you will need to manage the NH3 and NO2 spikes with water changes to keep the fish alive. It will lenghten your cycle. Prime is a pump-starting product for cycling. Do not waste your money on it. Buy some LR for your tank instead.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Prime is a pump-starting product for cycling. Do not waste your money on it. Buy some LR for your tank instead.
Actually Prime is a water conditioner...
Prime™ is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels.Prime™ also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime™ is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime™ will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...ges/Prime.html
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
Old 07-23-2005, 10:14 PM   #6

I picked up a bottle of a product called "cycle" is this any good?

and any advice on if I should do a water change or not?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

mjvincent is correct, Prime is a water conditioner. However, it is often times used in a newly cycling tank to convert NH3 and NO2 to safe levels for fish. Make not mistake, it is intened to use during the cycle to speed things up. Any "miracle in a bottle" cycle jump-starters are too good to be true. Like I said, don't waste your money on these products. Spend it on LR and let your tank cycle naturally. This just takes time...
Old 07-23-2005, 11:46 PM   #8

the guy at the pet store told me not to get live rock until it had been set up for 6 months or else i'd just kill the rock? was I given bad information?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Time to find a new pet store
Old 07-24-2005, 09:13 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well the lfs was right and wrong (depending on your point of view). LR will have some die off from cycling a tank, however most of the delicate life on the lr will have already died during the curing process (probably done a the lfs). I have never heard them state to wait six months (unless it had some sort of sensitive coral on it). LR is a great way of boosting your beneficial bacteria in your tank and you can dramatically shorten your cycle time by using a good quantity of it.

Cycle is a mixture of nitrosomonas and nitrobacter which are the bacteria that are needed in the tank to break down ammonia and nitrites. There are mixed reviews as to the effectiveness of these products (in general). I wouldn't use the product myself and given a choice I would add mor lr as lando said and use the Prime to help the fish out if you can't get them out. I cycled with damsels and they are still in my tank. You have to remember though that damsels are aggressive and you will be limited as to what you can put in there later.

Tags
change, cycling, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com