Cycling - Low Ph slightly high salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shultz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Started cycling the tank 2 days ago with LR & tiger prawns

I've just checked the PH with my Hana tester & its 7.85!!! Also the salt shows 1.026 is this normal during a cycle or should I do a water change?

Cheers Shelton.

It's pretty normal for pH to be all over the place during cycling so don't worry about it.

Are you getting much evaporation? That could be a cause for the salinity change, aswell as temperature and general inaccuracy if you're using a hydrometer.

Temp seems pretty much between 24.9C & 25.4C according to the digi thermo, has gone up today as mostly its 25C dead

Not seen much evap, though I am using a hydro (wasted £14 which I could have put towards a refract!)

The skimmer has started to remove gunk already, turned it down a bit as I noticed it was collecting a bit of dirty water rather than just slimey bubbles.

Just waiting 5mins to see what the AM is, got 0.5 yesterday but I can "smell" the prawns today 8O

Cheers Shelton.

OK it seems like after only 3 days that the am is dropping & nitrites are well up, should it happen this quickly even with cured LR?

Date Salt PH Ammonia Nitrites Nitrates Notes

12.7.04 NT NT NT NT NT Water,Air Pump & Powerheads Only
13.7.04 NT NT NT NT NT Live Rock & Dead Prawns Added
14.7.04 1.025 8.1 0.5 0.5 10
15.7.04 1.026 7.85 1 NT NT Using Hana for PH now
16.7.04 1.025 7.85 0.5 5 NT Moved prawns into flow of maxijet

Cheers Shelton.

Back
Top Bottom