Cycling my Aquarium, Any way to Speed up ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently set up a 32 gal. aquarium, I am currently cycling the tank (have been for about 2 week) and i keep testing the water and it isn't showing any change, how long does the cycling process usually take and is there any way in which i can speed it up ??

Any help is much appriciated, Thanks

If you can get your hand on bio-spira that would help. But slow is the best way to do this. It will take about 6 weeks for your tank to get to appropriate levels for fish. I used bio-spira and had no problems with 1 fish after a week. But other I know have had problems. So beware!!!! Take this time to research!!!! and ask lots of questions here!!!!

OceanMist,

Your post does not clarify how you are cycling your tank. Is there anything in it to get the cycle doing such as fish or other means? If not I would suggest reading the article linked below:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

I concur with MYTY1705 slow and patient is the best method, but for those that just cannot wait I have used bio-spira successfully as well. Even if you go this route be patient not to introduce to many fish at one time. If you do use bio-spira you will need to introduce something to produce ammonia or the bacteria will die off.

You are in the right place to start with AA is an excellent forum to get advice.

Good luck,

Tell us more about your setup. Do you got live rock, sand, etc?
my tank is in inches, 48L x 12W x 13H, i've got 2 yellow tail damsels (i know its a bad idea, i was against it but a friend of mine was convinced it was the best solution), running an Eheim 2013 filter , 250w heater, Maxijet 900ltr/hr Powerhead, lighting: 125w 'halide + 2 48" standard tubes, its got loads of tufa rock but no live however i will be getting some at the weekend. any reccomendations ??

liverock.com is recommended by everyone here!!!! Probably cheaper and better quality than from buying at LFS. OOPS sorry in UK don't know if they ship there or not.

Tufa rock is a good start. You do not need to replace it. If you want to go w/ LR you can just add it to what you have. Over time all rock becomes LR, but by purchasing LR from a reputable dealer you can get some very colorful organisms already growing on it. Over time with proper lighting and water conditions this will spead to your base rock.

Get some gravel or something from an established tank, that speeds it up. Or some live rock. Just ask LFS for a little bag of gravel, they should give you some for free.

Assuming you are in goof with your LFS, ask for a cup of sand from his main salt display tank. That is what I did and he was more then happy to oblige from his 750 reef that had been established for four years. 1 Raw shrimp for ammonia and Vooalla!

But there really is no substitue for time

If you can get your hand on bio-spira that would help
It may help speed up the cycle, but it will not prepare you tank to handle a fish load long-term. MYTY1705 is correct in saying that slow and steady is he best way. As mentioned, more good quality LR will certainly help. Bottom line...you just can not rush this.

Back
Top Bottom