Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cycling My Tank

I have just started in the saltwater tank area, I have a coralife 29 gallon biocube and a protein skimmer that I have not set up yet. It has been cycling for 8 days, I sadly was tricked by someone at my lfs saying that I needed a fish the next day to help the cycle along. He died yesterday and I feel bad that I got tricked but I feel like I also should have know better. I have been testing my tank and I have not seen any spikes at all. My ph is 8.2 my ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 and the gravity is 1.024. Its the 7th day I have got no readings, I have got a brown algae bloom for about 3 days now. Its starting to go away on the live rock but its moving to the sand, also I think I am starting to get a bit of cyno on my live rock. I was thinking of getting my clean up crew this friday following a youtuber ReefThuz. What do you think about how my cycle is going and how far along it is.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It normally takes several weeks to cycle a tank. If you let the fish in there, it would have provided a ammonia source for your cycle...which it seems that you are currently lacking. Get an uncooked shrimp from the grocery store or dose the tank to 2ppm pure ammonia so you can get the levels up and get things going.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #3

OK I will dose my tank with some ammonia to get things going, one question for much later could I get a frogspawn coral in my tank because I was going to get 2 clowns and I want to see if they will host in it, also it looks really nice.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeDartfish View Post
OK I will dose my tank with some ammonia to get things going, one question for much later could I get a frogspawn coral in my tank because I was going to get 2 clowns and I want to see if they will host in it, also it looks really nice.
Absolutely you could put frogspawn in! Hopefully the clowns would host it..in just added neon green hammer to my cube in hopes of my clowns hosting it..there hanging around it so far just not in it..Lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1389072220321.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	215607   Click image for larger version

Name:	1389072236560.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	215608  

Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #5

Your tank looks really nice, I hope I can get mine to look that good. I didn't think I could get a coral beauty in a 29 gallon biocube, but you have one and it seems to be doing good.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Eh its up for debate a lot of people say you shouldn't have one in a 29..but Myne seems happy!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

You will be lucky to get the clownfish to host it. I bought a couple different things for my clowns to host and they ended up sleeping back behind one of the powerheads in the corner of the tank.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
cycling, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com