Cycling my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dunnman39

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been up and running for about 3-4 weeks. How do I know when it is finished cycling? Algae has started to grow in some places. When do I need to add the clean up crew.

I'm guessing if there's algae you leave the lights on? You don't need to have the lights on during a cycle as I'm sure this is just an empty tank right now.

do you have a test kit?

Caleb

You can't be sure if it's cycled unless you test the water with a decent liquid test kit.

Sent from my iPotato using Aquarium Advice

We have an excellent article about cycling the tank in our SW articles section.

I thought once algae starts it means the cycling process is ending?

You have done the right thing by connecting to this forum. You will learn a lot especially from experienced saltwater enthusiast. You can find helpful information from my feed: Started a 125 Gallon Salt Water Reef Tank

Here is some useful links for you that may help:

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Ammonia Instructions For A Fishless Cycle - 19627

Nitrifying Bacteria Facts

I have completed my 6 week cycle today. I have no algae build up and my water is crystal clear. I did not have my light on during the cycle.
My Nitrate are around 20-30ppm. I am working at getting that down. pH: 8.1, Ammonia: 0ppm and Nitrite: 0ppm. I can convert both in less than 24 hrs. If you do the fishless cycle you can monitor both and make sure you can convert for example 4ppm of Ammonia to Nitrite in 24hrs or less.

You may need to do big water changes to bring down Nitrate and Phosphates levels.

Back
Top Bottom