cycling my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pool_dude

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok. Im cycling my tank now with live rock. Everything is going as planned, except for one thing, it stinks up! Got any solutions or any insight into why it smells? I have to open my window every 3-5 hours so the smell and clear out.

Yes, it's from the die off on the LR. It shouldn't last too long, a week or so (depending upon how much die off there is). It will go away!!!!

Jim

Agree with everyone else it should go away in a week or two I had some serious die off with mine and it smelt for about 5 days I would say the skimmer really did the job with it though. Though it was small and crappy removing all the #*%@ from the watter made the smell lessen.

i try to get rock that is already cycled, This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community. that horid smell, when i do happen to get rock that is not done curing, i set it aside in the bathroom in a styrofoam tank with SW and a air stone. let it sit there for about a week or two, then test levels of ammonia. then i Continue from there!

I waited until mine was cycled -- didn't smell too bad but...

ran my skimmer for 3 hours 2 months later and it cleared up perfect.

change with RO water.

If it is bothering you that bad, try doing a large water change to get the ammonia level down. It may prolong your cycle, but you will salvage what life you have left on our LR.

Back
Top Bottom