Cycling new Fish only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shark68

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just wondering what the best way to cycle my new saltwater tank. Its a 72gal. I have been told that a product called Bio Sphira works well and only takes a day or two to completely cycle the tank. Is this true? If this is true how do i use it? Do i just put it in the water and leave it or should i also put some waste in the tank along with the Bio Shira, such as frozen brine shimp or something like that.

If Bio Shira is no good wut should i use? What are some of your techniques?

If that's the stuff they keep in the freezer or refridgerated, my lsf swears by it. I didn't use it, but they say it works. I believe they said if you use it, you HAVE to put a couple of fish in within 24 hours.

Yea it is the stuff they keep in the fridge. One of my friend used it also and loves it. I have heard that it also works if u get in a jam and have problem with nitrites because it will bring them down overnight just by adding it. I have heard that you can use anything that will cause waste in the tank in the beginning, either fish or frozen food items. I think some people are very against it though because it is a shortcut.

Get some fresh uncooked shrimps at your local super market to cycle your new tank. I used 3 of them, and it only took me 2 weeks to complete the cycle process. I think this method is better than using live fish such as damsels, or Bio products.JMO

The problem with these addatives is that there is no "food" for the cycle. The nitrogen cycle starts with the breaking down of ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates. If you add this with no ammonia the beneficial bacterial may be added but wont be enough to sustain life. That means any addition will cause a mini spike as the bacteria builds up to helpful levels.

I have been told that a product called Bio Sphira works well and only takes a day or two to completely cycle the tank. Is this true?
Yes and no. Off the shelf cycling products like Bio-Spira may help jump-start the cycle but, honestly, if they worked as well as the companys claim, we would all be using them. That is not the case. They are really a waste of money, IMO. Spend the money on some LR that will benifit your tank in the long run. Here is the problem...products like Bio-Spira really give you a false sense that your tank is ready to go. You add the stuff, wait two days, check water parameters, add fish, all fish die due to ammonia spike. That is the typical scenario with this product. It does not prepare your tank to handle any kind of bio-load long-term. The best way to cycle is slowly and naturally. If there really was a "wonder product" sold at the LFS, it would be advocated by many here. That is simply not the case. I say skip it, if your tank is not properly cycled you will have constant problems with water paramters once you add any type of bio-load. This will just make things harder on you and your fish.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

Will live sand work as well as live rock if i use it? I really don't want to use live rock because i find it fairly unsightly and the sole purpose of this tank is going to be for show.(Its going to be a fish only tank). If i use live sand and put frozen brine shrimp in as waste will that work to cycle the tank?? Also can i still add the bio spira as and extra boost for the tank or will that just be a waste of money if i am cycling the tank the regular way?

I really don't want to use live rock because i find it fairly unsightly and the sole purpose of this tank is going to be for show.(Its going to be a fish only tank).
Have you checked out people's galleries? I do not think LR is "unsightly", it adds an element of reality to a tank. Fake decorations that become covered in brown slimy algea is unsightly. Adding LR to your tank is the best thing you can ever do for it. It will create a very healthy environment for fish which, in turn, will only make them look better.
If i use live sand and put frozen brine shrimp in as waste will that work to cycle the tank?? Also can i still add the bio spira as and extra boost for the tank or will that just be a waste of money if i am cycling the tank the regular way?
It depends on the live sand. If it is from a bag off the shelf at the LFS you will likely need to add the shrimp. Use teh shrimp and ask the LFS for a cup or two of some substrate from one of their exsisiting tanks, this will hlp seed the sand bed. If cycling the proper way, bio spira will be a waste of money.

I've seen false live rock, and it is unsightly. True live rock, covered in coraline algae is very pretty, it filters the tank, and is the natural environment for the fish.

The problem with Bio Spira is it either works, and your fish live, or it doesn't work, and your fish are harmed or killed. Around here, anything but a blue damsel is $15 and up ($20 for a percula clown). If you lost 5 or 6 fish at that price...well...I'd think you'd be very frustrated by such a pricey setback.

Thanx for all the advice. I think i am going to cycle the good old fashion way and just wait the extra time instead of rushing with the bio spira. I am still not sold on the Live Rock though. I don't really like the natural reefy look it has. I want a very clean plain tank with white sand and a few fish. Maybe some plain rocks if necessary. IDK i'll c how it goes once i get it up and running. Any other ideas are welcomed so keep throwing them at me. Thanx.

yea i used that in my tank to help finish my cycle off because i added my fish too early and it worked rather well. my lfs taxed on it and sold it to me for 28$ but imk sure you can get it online for cheaper, i was just in a bind.

Back
Top Bottom