Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cycling new QT?

I am cycling a 10 gallon QT. I put in the shrimp 4 days ago. My levels are now pH 8.0, nitrites <.3-.3 mg/l and ammonia is about 3.0 mg/l. Is there a time that I am supposed to take out the shrimp? And, just to make sure, I can put fish in when the nitrites and ammonia go to 0, correct? Also, am I doing any water changes while I am cycling?

Old 04-17-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
steve-s

Since there are no animals in the QT (I hope), water changes will not be needed during the cycle process. A 10 gal tank will not need a very large piece of shrimp to spur the cycle, so the larger it is, the more ammonia you will get.

The shrimp should not be removed until you see a natural reduction in ammonia and nitrates have formed as well. Once the ammonia has fallen a fair amount, you can dispose of the shrimp. Just be sure to add small amounts of food a few times a week to feed the bacteria while the cycle finishes.

What type of filter did you choose and did you seed it?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-17-2004, 01:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have been reading here a little while...but just enough to know not to put any animals in the QT while it is cycling....I do have a whole shrimp in there,though. Should I cut it to a smaller piece? Will the ammonia stay longer or go higher or get wherever it is going quicker since it is a whole shrimp?

As for food, should I just add a few flakes?

As for filter, I got the PetStupid 10 gal starter kit and it had a generic Top Fin power filter with a floss bag with carbon in it. I did not get to seed it because I am letting my display tank go fallow after an episode with ich and a mad killing spree from a homocidal yellow tang.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefilte
I do have a whole shrimp in there,though. Should I cut it to a smaller piece? Will the ammonia stay longer or go higher or get wherever it is going quicker since it is a whole shrimp?
At this point I really wouldn't worry about it. The amount of ammonia that gets produced won't be a concern since there are no animals. The length of time it takes depends on the amount of surface area available to the bacteria. Once the ammonia starts to fall and nitrites and nitrates are present, you can simpley remove it.

Quote:
As for food, should I just add a few flakes?
Flakes will work fine. You need to add something that will continue to rot and feed the bacteria. Small amounts 2x a week should do it.

Quote:
As for filter, I got the PetStupid 10 gal starter kit and it had a generic Top Fin power filter with a floss bag with carbon in it. I did not get to seed it because I am letting my display tank go fallow after an episode with ich and a mad killing spree from a homocidal yellow tang.
That should work fine but just take a bit longer. Be sure if you need to use copper or antibiotics that the carbon is removed. If you need to, run 2 filter sleeves if possible to allow the old to seed the new.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com