Cycling or not????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
New tank, live sand installed 18 days ago, live sand 15 days ago. Amonnia came up to .25 several days ago and has stayed there. Nitrate and Nitrite have always remained at 0. Makes me think the tank is not cycling. Do I need to jump start it?

Tonights readings:
Temp 79
Salinity 1.024
PH 7.8
Amonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

did u use live rock or dry rock? What are u using as your ammonia source? there answers will will help us better understand your tank

Yeah you're not gonna get anywhere unless you either a)dose up to 4ppm with PURE ammonia or b) throw a dead shrimp in.....without an ammonia source your bb has nothing to eat, essentially starving itself

First post was a typo. Should have said " live sand installed 18 days ago, live ROCK 15 days ago". I put 10 lbs of base rock and 20 lbs of live rock in. It is a 45 gal tank. I tend to agree with you guys that I need to jump start it but being a newbie I am a bit nervous. LOL Once the ammonia does spike, how long before it drops and the nitrite and nitrate level off. I know it varies on a lot of factors but is there a rule of thumb? I have been told fish food will also work. We have some pond pellets, goldfish flakes and/or some old blood worms from a Beta we used to have. Would any of those be a good catalyst?

crushed up fish flakes would also work as well, and a proper cylce takes weeks. itll take some time but more than worth itin the long run. im not sure what size tank you are going with, but if its the 45g, youd prob be best to get more.id aim for 45-50 lbs

Same test results tonight. .25 Ammonia and 0 on Nitrite and Nitrate. Added a few pinches of crushed flakes. We will see how this goes. I got to say, you guys are amaing. You answer the same questtions several times a day from us newbies and you never seem to get irritated or sick of it. Pat yourselves on the back. You deserve it. You know who you are. :)

:) everyone here just tried to help (plus everyones been there at one point) do you have access to pure ammonia? If you do, go that route because its a much more calculated and methodical route to cycling

Going to do some looking around today for some pure ammonia. Biggest problem is I live in the middle of no where and my office is in the middle of no where. LOL If I find some I will give it a try. Been hesitant because I don't want to overdose it. For a 45 gal tank what do you think would be the right amount to start with? I assume that I would need to keep adding if ammonia drops until I start to see the Nitrite coming up but stop as soon as I see Nitrite. Is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom