Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2004, 03:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

jr5018, attempting to increase someones awareness is never a waste of time in my opinion, whether it's appreciated or not (although I'd be surprised if it wasn't appreciated since we're supposed to care about our pets). He is leaving/has left the country so how are we supposed to help anyway? At least this way if the damsels don't make it, there's a chance he will consider fishless cycling next time.

I hope the person left in charge manages to keep them alive though.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Atari, The guy was obviously aware of our preferred cycling method here at AA it was getting to the point of redundancy. So it was a colossal waste of time IMO. We cannot help and i stand corrected for posting so late. Thankyou for being such a smart individual.

Old 07-21-2004, 04:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr5018
Thankyou for being such a smart individual.
It is absolutely unnecessary to resort to sarcasm. If you read back my initial response was to ask about filtration - to which I received no answer. I only chimed in on the fishless cycling to explain why scuba_steve suggested it, since it did not appear the poster believed the damsels would be in a harmful environment. It's hard to help someone who posts a day before leaving the country and doesn't answer your questions.

Old 07-21-2004, 04:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

why a stopped
Old 07-24-2004, 10:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You guys are funny
Old 07-24-2004, 10:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

as in ha-ha, not strange.....not that there's anything wrong with that......doh...
Old 07-26-2004, 01:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is the guy currently taking care of the tank and it has finished its cycle and there seems to be some kind of a alge growing on the gravel at this time....is this normal or should i be worried. Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:05 PM   #18
steve-s

You are a good friend indeed. To take care of a friends tank is one thing but to seek the advice of others is great Welcome to the forum

You say the tank has finished it's cycle? If so can you post the numbers? NH3, NO2 and NO3?

If all's well, I would make sure you do a large water change to bring down any remaining nitrates and keep things up to par. How are the remaining fish?

As far as the algae is concerned, this is quite normal for a new tank. Depending on the water used, tap or RO, it should subside as the tank ages a bit. Nothing to be concerned about as yet. Was any money left behind for the possible addition of a few snails(?) providing the cycle is done?

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-27-2004, 01:40 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya im proud to be takin care of the tank...haha i guess. Its pretty much mine, that other guy and his sisters(my girlfriend). But i am just using tap water(is using RO more benefitial...and how much of a water change is needed? 40-50% right?) and the algae is kind of a brownish/orange. Theres not ALOT but a decent amount. Should i run to the fish store and buy some snails of anything? Also the fish seem to be doing great. We have a yellow tail damsel and a green damsel. The yellow tail seems to be diggin a hole in the coral under some live rock...im hopin this is no big deal. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:43 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey.. glad to hear the fish are still alive and kicking!

By all means get some snails if the cycling is complete. Do you have the test results that Steve mentioned above?

It will definitely cut down on the algae if you can use RO water.. 25% every couple weeks should do the trick.

I personally find the best way to tackle that brown/orange stuff on the glass is with a (new) toothbrush. I can't say my snails ever went near it, they seem to prefer green.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com