cycling process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am 1 week into cycling my tank and I only got the test kit today, I started with cured live rock, live sand. My tests show ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 5 is there a possibility that it has already cycled or is it more likely that the ammonia hasn't even peaked yet, I've added absolutely nothing to the water..I'm sure it probably hasn't even started yet but thought I'd ask for some advice just in case there is a chance I missed the ammonia spike in the first week,

image-558168653.jpg

This what I used on my last tank and it helped speed up the process.

Hi, I am 1 week into cycling my tank and I only got the test kit today, I started with cured live rock, live sand. My tests show ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 5 is there a possibility that it has already cycled or is it more likely that the ammonia hasn't even peaked yet, I've added absolutely nothing to the water..I'm sure it probably hasn't even started yet but thought I'd ask for some advice just in case there is a chance I missed the ammonia spike in the first week,

Depending on the size .
The only true way to tell without dumping a few fish in just to watch them die is dose with ammonia and after 24 hrs if your ammonia tests 0 you're good .
A raw shrimp will also work at a ammonia source .

Thanks for all the advice I tested again today and ammonia was 0 so was nitrite but nitrate has gone up to 10 from 5 is this normal does anyone know what it means I'm planning to do a partial water change tomorrow,

Thanks for all the advice I tested again today and ammonia was 0 so was nitrite but nitrate has gone up to 10 from 5 is this normal does anyone know what it means I'm planning to do a partial water change tomorrow,

It's good but weird that after the cycle finished it's only 10 ppm .
Sounds like you are officially a new salty .
Keep in mind patients , research and consistency .
DI not rush when it comes to adding stock, add little at a time to give your system to build and adjust to the bigger bio load .

Small tank, all live rock, good possibility. When you start adding stuff, test for a week or two after adding anything. If you see a spike then go from there. Being as it was so quick you might have a soft population of bacteria so any additions will have to be spaced apart pretty well and you should monitor the water.
I've been testing my live rock I bought used from a few weeks ago every single day, I watched the ammonia spike a little and then no nitrites but alot of nitrates. Then moved the rock into my tank and its all 0's across the board. Live rock, depending on how well its transported can pretty much insta cycle your tank. :)

Thanks for all your help, I did a water change today and my nitrate has gone down now to in between 2 and 5 and I've added a hermit crab who seems very happy at the moment

Hi so today I did some more tests and my nitrate has come right down to 0 but my ammonia has risen a tiny bit to 0.2 everything thing else is at normal levels should I be concerned or is it because I've added a hermit crab just want to know if this is quite normal any help would be great thanks

Back
Top Bottom