Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2004, 01:40 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Steve have you ever tried tossing a sponge in a sump then adding it to a QT tank.
I heard from a lfs that it is a quick way to jumpstart bacteria in a little QT

Old 05-26-2004, 12:02 PM   #12
steve-s

Yup it's a "quick start" method. Considering the time gefilte has had this QT cycling, I don't think there would be much of a boost. With newly established QT's needing to place fish in an emergency, it can be a great advantage. When something has been cycling this long it's either lack of available surfaces for bacteria or too much nutrient.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-24-2004, 10:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK. The ammonia's gone. But the ites and ates are too high. I did a 20% water change and still too high. Any ideas?

P.S. My display tank is PERFECT...probably because there are no fish in there to mess it up!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:38 PM   #14
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefilte
OK. The ammonia's gone. But the ites and ates are too high. I did a 20% water change and still too high. Any ideas?
8O 2 months and it's still cycling... WOW. I would keep doing the water changes daily until the nitrites are gone and at the same time be sure you rinse any filter media in the removed SW.
Once the shrimp eroded away, did you add anything else or was that it? Hows the pH and is the tank well aerated?

Quote:
P.S. My display tank is PERFECT...probably because there are no fish in there to mess it up!!!
Good to hear but be sure you are adding small amounts of food once or twice a week as an ammonia source to keep the bacteria fed.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-24-2004, 11:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Steve.

I changed the filter media yesterday when I did the water change. I have added nothing else. The pH is between 8.0 and 8.3. As for aeration, I have the HOB filter moving water around, but I don't have any sort of air pump or stone in there. Do I need to do anything else to areate more? I'll keep doing water changes until it gets in line.

As for the main tank, I still have some snails, three crabs (which I'm questioning my sanity on those now after all I have read) and an anemone. So, I've been feeding the anemone which is keeping things going in the main tank.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:54 AM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefilte
I changed the filter media yesterday when I did the water change. I have added nothing else.
That could be part of the problem. The media should not be replaced unless with pre-seeded media. It becomes a rather large part of the biofiltration due to lack of surfaces within the tank. Next time if you need to change it, place the new one in the main tank for at least a week first. Many times simpley rinsing the old one in SW will be good enough.

Quote:
The pH is between 8.0 and 8.3. As for aeration, I have the HOB filter moving water around, but I don't have any sort of air pump or stone in there. Do I need to do anything else to areate more?
You don't need an air pump or stone as long as the pH stays stable, you may be fine without a powerhead as well. Once there is a fish in the QT that may change though. I would be prepared to get a lower GPH model powerhead just in case.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com